Monday, December 17, 2007

Running up the Score

You're the New England Patriots. You're the best team in football. There's three minutes left in the game and you're up 46-10. It's the third down and you have 20 yards to go. Field goal...or do you go for the TD?

Lately, the Patriots have opted to go for the full 7 points (and they usually get it). And it's not just football...hockey has had it's share of one-sided affairs where the opposing team is racking up the points, almost just to rub it in the face of their hapless opponents. Is it going to far...or is the losing team just getting what they deserve because they just plain suck?

Last week, my Ultimate team was annihilating the competition and we ended up winning something like 28-9. For the last point, I said to a teammate "I'm easing off this one." He responded, "I'm not!" Fair enough. I just thought I'd let up and give the other team an easier chance to score without being too obvious about it so they can leave the game on a somewhat happier note.

It's different when it's pro sports though. Is it a good idea to run up scores? Will it bite them in the ass later? Do you risk injuring your star players if the other team seeks retribution? Hard to say, but if it was up to me, I'd probably lay off a little and not give the other team a reason to want to play me harder when we meet again in the future.

Comments:
uh oh, I think I'm the guy who said "I'm not!" ..... hmmm I don't think I'm super competitive, but I know I've had teams "go easy" on me and I found it condescending... tough call...
 
In pro-sports like football, a full half of your game planning and team makeup is designed to stop the other team from scoring. If you can't do that, then it's YOUR problem, not the other team's.

I think going for it on 4th down is better than kicking the field goal - a FG is a higher-percentage play than the 4th down try.

One thing I will agree with though, is that teams like the Pats had better show some concern for their stars' health. There's no reason to risk injury to Brady, Moss or whomever.

Having said all that, I hope they don't go 16-0. Just call me petty, but I don't like Belichick's attitude (or at least how it comes across on TV).
 
SBP,

On the Ultimate issue, I agree with Scooter.

Besides, do team have two levels of play at the pro level? Level 1 where they don't have a grudge against the opponent and a Level 2 where they do have a grudge.

If I'm a coach or a fan, I'm looking for 100% all the time.

I think Bellichck is a bit of a jerk too but he's not wrong when he says "The offense goes out there to score points. Why else would they go on to the field"

RBP
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]