Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Oh the pain, the pain of it all...

On Monday, I was curled up on the floor, in the fetal position, lying in front of my bathroom toilet with the sensation I was going to hurl as the pain was just too much. Twenty minutes later, just after my good friend Cara arrived to drive me to the nearest medical facility and after speaking to one of the Telehealth nurses, I felt okay again. No question about it: a kidney stone. This struck me before a few years ago, and if a thousand knives of fire sticking in your side didn't absolve you for your sins the first time around, no question a second bout would.

Well, that was until today when it struck again. It came on more gradually this time and recognized the sensation right away, so I asked one of my co-workers to drive me to the clinic and they were kind enough to do so. This is actually where it starts to go downhill. See, the clinic downtown was closed, so their website listed all of the other locations with waiting times varying between 20 minutes to an hour & a half. BUT...the Nepean location stated "No wait times" so that's where I thought we should go. About 1/2 way there, with the driver going 10 km/h under the limit (I couldn't say anything though. He drove me and didn't have to. But why is he going so frickin' slow at this moment? Why? WHY!?) the full blown pain came on. When we got to the clinic, the receptionist told me "No wait times" means "No walk-ins" and there aren't any doctors available. Thanks. How didn't I pick up on that? Luckily the Queensway-Carleton hospital was just up the street but I thought indeed I was getting punished for asking my sister why she is serving dinner at 8pm when @ 7pm the Sens play the Blackhawks Saturday (I keed! I keed!). 30 minutes later after still in excruciating pain, I had to think warm thoughts after being given pain killers and had x-rays done. Nothing special, no abnormalities or anything. In a few days the stone should pass and that will be that.

I actually went back to work but my manager told me to go home, saying I should just relax, so I did. I feel great now more or less, got my prescription painkillers if need be and a note to not go to work for seven days (which won't be exercised) while in the interim, I pray this will never, ever happen to me again!

Comments:
Sorry to hear about your trouble with that BP, hope you're feeling better!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]