Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Mitchell Report

An over 300 page report details how Major League Baseball has failed to contain the use of performance-enhancing drugs was released today by U.S. Senator Mitchell and attempts to lay out a plan to stop there use in the future. Included in this report are names of several baseball players, including major stars such as Roger Clemens & Eric Gagne, who have been accused of using performance-enhancing drugs (but without being formally charged).

So will this stop steroid use?

It all depends on how seriously this report is taken. On the surface, throwing out a few names to the public is done almost just for shock value. Are they going to follow-up and maybe erase baseball records or take back championships because of their cheating? Will the players have to return salary or perhaps be charged formally for using and/or distributing? Will the penalties levied by the league be tougher and more vigorously enforced?

I'd like to think that one or more of the above will take place, because if nothing happens, this was nothing more than a smear campaign and all of the accused will forever have their reputation tarnished, regardless if they are innocent or guilty.

Call me cynical, but I just don't see anything coming of this. There has been nothing but talk for years and athletes continue to cheat at all costs. The culture of drug use seems to be accepted, and when designer drugs and human growth hormone are widely available that is impossible to detect (from what the little I understand), the money and fame are just too much for people to do the right thing and play clean. It's sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is now. I guess only time will tell to see if anything will come out of the Mitchell Report.

Comments:
Ask yourself this...

If you were a borderline player teetering between the "bigs" and AAA what would you do??

Stay clean and play in the minors for a fraction of the salary or "cheat" and get the huge dollars plus the fame and recognition of playing in the pros.

I don't blame the players, it may be short sighted on their part in terms of health, but the average pro career is 4 years. Not a lot of time to make as much cash as you can.

Same goes for the borderline "star" who with just a bit better stats would get more recognition & the huge endorsements from Nike or Reebok.

The almighty dollar speaks.

In my opinion the league and the players union bear much more responsibility for allowing this to have happened.

Dan p
 
Call me a goody-two shoes, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't live with myself knowing that my career is a complete lie. I would think of the place of the person I took who played clean and how unfair it is to them. Plus the idea you could get caught and be forever labelled a cheater wouldn't be a risk I would want to take.

Couldn't do it.
 
I may be pessimistic but I think there are many more people that cheat & don't get caught then those that do get caught. If everyone got caught no one would take the risk.

So, if it was me & i made the poor choice to cheat (to achieve the rewards it would bring) & I got caught...well I'd get over it while drinking Caesars on the beach, staring at my yatch anchored off shore and seeing my private plane bringing in my buddies (fish) to play some poker at my hacienda in the Caribbean.

Dan p

P.s. You would be one of the fish of course!
 
I'd like to thank you for paying for my lunch today with the money you lost to me the other night at cards big guy...I'm sure you were just playing possum and setting me up for the next time we play!
 
Yup...I got you right where I want you!!! The fishing will be fantastic...
 
Come to think of it...you should rename your blog to "The Fish's archives"!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]