Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You talking to me?

I got annoyed at a co-worker the other day.

Basically, there's this guy who's super-religious, and I like to tease him about how I listen to Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Mason (well there's really just 3 songs of his I listen to you but we'll say it counts as "listening to Marilyn Manson").

Then he asked me point blank if I "accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour."

I thought that question went too far and is too personal to be asking such a thing, especially at work, but I decided to push his buttons some more by saying maybe we're wrong in thinking Jesus is the Saviour...maybe it's Vishnu. He didn't like that response and left, somewhat agitated.

But then I thought about it some more, and that's not an unreasonable response. Put it this way: There are 1 billion or so Indians who believe in the teachings of Hinduism. Who are we to say they are wrong in their beliefs? If you just take numbers, if anything, North American Christianity is the minority.

I am no atheist, I have a spiritual side and I think that the world, intelligent life and the entire galaxy is simply too complex to have started from a scientific theory or "The Big Bang." How something can be made from nothing is an explanation only the spiritual side of things can explain, in my humble opinion.

But who is anyone to say one religion is superior or "more right" than another? This is why I can't stand these religious zealots who claim God is the answer to everything. Which God? Why your God? Why not the one the Chinese, for instance, worship?

This is the reason why I think people are going to Church less in North America, and the reason why so much conflict and hate exist in this world: We can't let everyone just believe what they want to believe without adding, "My beliefs are better than yours."

Comments:
Ahhh the religion debate. This debate has the stigma that it will always end up in argument and anger between individuals regardless of beliefs b/c even those who believe in the same religion will have varying views. Personally I have always loved the conversation b/c it arises so much emotion and everyone has something to say even if they do not consider themselves religious.

But you have to look at it this way if he wasn’t preaching but just questioning then there is no problem there. When it comes to religion it is to each his own. When you start preaching to others in improper environments i.e. at work, then this is unacceptable.

Being raised strict Roman Catholic I went to a catholic high school; I was privy to several “world religion” classes that opened my eyes to Hindu or Muslim beliefs for example. To my mother’s dismay these courses provided a window into the idea that it was my decision on what I wanted to believe in or not. I ended up never going to church again thought of the bible as a great story and still read parts of it from time to time as there are some great passages and quotes in there that can inspire intelligent writing. To me Catholicism is merely a farce, the Catholic Church is corrupt, and like most mass religions, to have cult like elements. So I personally don’t believe in any of the world religions.

Hate to pick at your stats but Christianity is still the major religion of the world as well as in NA. But to help next time you are asked about religion instead of using Manson, I can lend you some of my death metal music to say you listen to like Mortician or Cannibal Corpses for example. This music will freak out just about anyone let alone an avid bible thumper.
 
I like Buffy The Vampire Slayer's response better.

In one episode, when Buffy is asked: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal saviour?" she replies, "You know, I meant to, and I just got really busy."

Not sure why people get upset at being asked the question though. I mean really you can just answer "nope" and be done with it.

Now, if it was followed up with "WHY haven't you?" then you can choose to not get into that kind of discussion.

Kinda like the stigma of politics (this is more prevalent in the US, but still somewhat relevant in Canada). You can ask someone if they plan on voting, but it's a bigger deal if you ask WHO they're planning on voting for.
 
But have you accepted Stephen Harper as your personal saviour Stan.
 
Coming back to the original issue and what I was saying obviously my death metal comment was a joke and if someone asked me my beliefs (depending on the person) I would probably tell them how I feel and what I believe in. But in all reality that is what politics and religion both are: topics that each individual decides if they personally wish to enter a conversation on the subject(s).

For example I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the question posed to BP. When a person is in a position that BP was in it is their choice to discuss the issue or not. Now if the person asking the question begins to preach then they are overstepping their boundaries and should not push their beliefs on any other person.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]