Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Turn it Off!



How many times have you been on the highway, driving under the speed limit because the person in front of you forgot where the accelerator is? You pass them, not before glancing quickly to see they have a big smile on their face while they're chatting away on their cellular phone. They are completely oblivious to the speed they're going and the cars around them...they are on the phone right now and heaven forbid if they wait until their journey has ended before taking a call.

Surveys have shown a person driving while talking on their cell phone is the equivalent of someone being slightly above the legal blood-alcohol limit. They are less likely to drive straight and in the middle of their lane, and they are also likely to drive according to their mood on their phone. If they're happy: slow (maybe too slow) and steady. If they're pissed off, watch out.

What startles me the most though are people that actually text others while driving! I was watching Dr. Phil (don't ask) and a teenage driver who struck a cyclist and ended up either in a wheelchair or died admitted to trying to text someone when the accident occurred. Someone else watching the program with me chuckled and admitted to texting while driving, too.

"So you're going to stop doing it now, right?" I asked.
"Ahhh...probably not."

Shocking.

I have no interest sharing the road with these morons. Let's ban the cell phone ASAP when you're behind the wheel...I'm sure your call can wait 5 minutes.

Comments:
SBP,

Can you make the font size bigger on your blog page?

I'm finding it hard to read on my blackberry and concentrate on the road at the same time.

Good stuff! Your Blog really helps my morning commute just whiz by...
 
I agree! Not only ban taking calls while you're driving, but if you call someone on their cell and realize you've reached them in the car, tell them to call you back once they're not driving...actually, insist!
It's right up there with drinking and driving, but most people don't see it that way.
 
I've got a perfect solution. Taser them.
 
Plan-B, Paulie...both your responses made me laugh out loud! GOOD TIMES!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]