Saturday, November 17, 2007

The stigma of alcohol

Everyone enjoys a nice glass of vino with a good meal. White. Red. Variations of it, like champagne. How many couples get a bottle of their favourite Merlot when they go out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate their anniversary or whatever occasion it may be? A lot.

I don't.

The bitter, moldy taste I acquaint with most wines just doesn't settle well with me. So I don't buy it. To each their own.

I don't mind the odd beer, and I'll usually have a pint when I go to a pub or something. But it's rare that I'll keep some at my place. I've started to get some, mostly for guests.

But now, in my thirties, whenever I go to a restaurant, there seems to be some stigma attached when you order a non-alcoholic drink.

One time, a waitress pretty much pegged me as being gay because I ordered a diet coke while everyone else ordered a beer. The guys with me seemed to enjoy her quick wit, and laughed accordingly. This was a little more blatant than other examples, but who cares if I order booze or not?

Maybe I'm the designated driver. Perhaps wrapping my car around a telephone pole isn't an option I want to consider that night.

But maybe I don't want to force myself to have a drink that, to me, doesn't particularly taste good. Stuff like whiskey and tequila come to mind. I don't understand how someone can rate a tequila as being "smooth" when, again, just to me, is the equivalent of setting your mouth and throat on fire. How does anyone enjoy it? Instead of trying to figure it out, I'll just won't indulge and let others do their thing.

My point is, I enjoy Coke Zero, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Comments:
=)

to each their own Ben!
 
....now get me one of those beers.
 
Coke zero is pretty gay. You should try a nice pink vodka cooler. No one ever makes fun of those.
 
I'm with DB. Pink Vodka Coolers are 'da bomb. Switch it up to one of those 7% bad boys and nobody'll ever make fun of you again.

PS- As one of those guests who partakes of your beer, I thank you for lessening the trade deficit from all my lost Diet Pepsis.
 
SBP,

Should your post not be called "The Stigma of Coke Zero"?

If only life was as simple as you make it out to be. Plenty of sober drivers unfortunately wrap their vehicles around telephone poles and other objects/people/animals.

I think therein lies the reason for people poking fun at you. Life is not that simple and people don't generally think of the world the same way you do.

If you had ordered coke instead of diet coke, you would have been fine buddy, meainig that your choice of diet pop is probably what tipped off the humour at your expense.

I would quit beer altogether. I used to be in the same place as you about beer and now I love it. If only I could go back and do it all over again. I could have blown all of that money on other things. I would maybe weigh less than I do now. If only.

RBP

ps did you tip the server?
 
Ben, could the waitress not have been teasing you a bit? If everyone going out orders a beer and one guy orders a coke, or a tea, of course everyone is going to give him the gears. It's just simple teasing. And, it's a perfect opening/opportunity to flirt too since you've already managed to 'stand out' from the crowd.

I remember a similar incident and if it's the same one, there was no way the waitress thought you were 'gay' (not that there's anything wrong with that). She was being very friendly, not rude. And she was also 'playing the crowd' for a tip.

If you don't want to indulge, that's cool. To each their own. But you can still relax, realize your with friends, and let go and have a good time.

Oh, and where the hell is my trade offer?
 
The trade offer is coming...just ironing out the details.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]