Wednesday, November 14, 2007

August Rush and Airport Security

Cara was ever so kind to invite me out to an advanced screening of August Rush, a film about an orphaned child prodigy of music. Haven't heard of it? Neither had I. But what I'll remember most about the evening wasn't the movie but the hassle getting inside the theatre.

This movie doesn't come out officially until November 21st and as far as I know, this isn't exactly a hyped up film with fans lining up days in advance to buy tickets. But they sure treated it that way. They had everyone line up and you entered one by one. First, there were two security guards who had everyone open their bags and purses to be inspected. Next stop, they had those hand-held metal detector thingees to check for, uh, metal. They were REALLY paranoid about someone sneaking in a camcorder to record this movie. The flick started 20 minutes late because of all these delays, and if that wasn't enough, there was a guy with a night vision camera scanning the audience to see if anyone was recording.

If I ever have to go through that for another movie, I'll stop going to the theatre.

Anyway, the movie itself wasn't all that great. Quick plot summary: Boy meets girl. Boy and girl have one night stand. Girl gets pregnant. Boy and girl go their separate ways. Baby goes to orphanage. Music is what keeps them together! End.

Okay, a bit harsh, but other questions such as "How did they get that 11 year-old in a tux in less than 2 minutes?" seemed more pertinent. The film just felt so fake and over-the-top cheese. It's a movie I'm sure teenage girls and middle-age/elderly women who want to watch something "nice" without violence will enjoy. In other words, take a pass.

Comments:
Hey Ben,

That's standard treatment at an advanced screening. With all the pirating out there the theatres are probably obligated to do it.

Your lucky you actually got off easy. When I took my niece to the advance screening of Surf's Up, I had an anal cavity search. I've never seen a woman with such big hands before...she didn't even use K-Y!!! Thank-God I'm used to it...

Wade #6
 
LOL!!!!!
 
If it's worth mentioning, the person who wrote the anonymous comment has the initials "D.P."
 
LOL, D.P. that is great or I am just to damn immature probably both.
 
No, that's pretty great!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]