Saturday, October 06, 2007

What is he doing?

Look at this guy. The best basketball player on the planet, Lebron James. He's born and raised in Cleveland, which is unique in a sense that his hometown NBA team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, was able to draft him. It's a script that only Hollywood could write, and it's expected Lebron will help bring NBA championships to his city that hasn't had one in the 37 years it has been in the league.

So, while baseball's Cleveland Indians are currently battling the New York Yankees for the right to play in the World Series, James announces he's a Yankees fans and has proudly displayed his Yankees cap whenever he's at the ballpark.

Blasphemy!

This kid is FROM Cleveland! His city could enjoy a World Series championship it hasn't enjoyed since 1948. But Cleveland's most famous athlete it has ever produced is rooting for a team its playing against!

This is too weird...what if the Prime Minster of Canada high-fived Carl Lewis as he won a gold medal? It just wouldn't be right. And maybe it's nothing worth talking about, but if I lived in Cleveland, I wouldn't definitely take insult at Lebron's insistence on my home team losing to the New York Yankees.

Comments:
Do you want him to be a sports bigamist and cheer for a team simply because he lives there?

You'd do the same thing if, say, you got drafted by the Blue Jays and the Leafs and Sens were playing for the Eastern Conference Championship. You'd be in the stands at the ACC with your Sens jersey on, wouldn't you?

Or would you take your own advice and become a Leafs fan?
 
Your above example is different. If the Jays drafted me, a guy from Ottawa, it could be understood why I'd cheer for the Sens: I grew up there. I never lived in Toronto until I was drafted. Lebron lived in Cleveland his whole life. That's what makes this story interesting.
 
Weren't you *born* in Toronto?

Okay, point taken, but I can still illustrate a case where this should be acceptable. I've lived in Ottawa since before the Sens showed up, and I'm a Leafs fan. If I was drafted by, say, the Renegades a few years back, would you expect me to support the Sens in the aforementioned Easter Conference series?
 
You know, you seemed really offended by this...so you know what...yeah, you put on the red and cheer GO SENS GO! as you give me free front row tickets on the 40 yard line over at Frank Clair Stadium!
 
Not at all offended, buddy. Just curious as to why you had a problem with him cheering for the team he's always cheered for. Kinda the same persecution I get when I tell people I'm a Leafs fan in this city and I'm suddenly downgraded in their esteem even if they know nothing more about me...
 
Lebron is, probably, expecting the Cavaliers fans to cheer him while he plays in front of them in his hometown of Cleveland. So to turn around and give 95% of that same fan base the bird with that Yankees hat as the Indians take to the field...I dunno. Just doesn't seem right.
 
I understand that it's weird for the fans, but you must grant that I'd be justified in doing the exact same thing in his shoes, right?

This would be a much smaller story if he was a Blue Jays fan... as he'd never have to worry about playoff bigamy.

Wow, Sens win again. IS this season destined to be 82-0? Me and my pro-line picks hope so!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]