Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A New Season

First, I know you all missed me yesterday. Technical difficulties prevented me from doing my usual post as I couldn't get the PC to react to the cordless mouse & keyboard on John's computer that's set up with my big TV (definitely a nice feature...I can use my TV as a 56" monitor). That's ok, now I'm using my usual desktop to write this.

I'll just say a few words about what I think about the Sens chances for the season which starts tomorrow against the Leafs (and will be witnessed in HD, NICE!).

First, the team is pretty much the same from last season except for the departure of Peter Schaefer, Mike Comrie and Tom Preissing. In their place, we have Shean Donovan, rookie Nick Foligno, and Luke Richardson. I'll just say that usually at least one rookie gets a shot to crack the lineup, and Foligno played very well after being called out by coach John Paddock before the pre-season started. I really like what I've seen of Donovan, he may not be as skilled as the departed Schaefer but he's fast and he isn't afraid to get physical and play with an edge. His penalty killing looks to be a valuable asset for the Senators. Finally, it's disappointing 2005 1st round pick Brian Lee couldn't step up as he was likely thought to be ready to play in the NHL, because now a 38 year-old past his prime defenceman (who was a healthy scratch last year playing for the Maple Leafs if that doesn't sound off alarm bells in your head) is going to be in the starting lineup tomorrow. Maybe when Dean McAmmond comes back (hopefully his career isn't over), they'll put Schubert back on D and scratch Richardson. But who knows? Maybe playing for his hometown Ottawa will give Richardson a 2nd life to a career that's winding down. He's currently the longest-serving player in the NHL who's never won the Stanley Cup or appeared in the finals.

I really wish Ray Emery was good to go, but Gerber played well in the pre-season so it shouldn't be too much of a setback having Gerber start. If he can put together some decent games, it'll help Ottawa trade him to free up some cap space.

I'm guessing the final four in the East will be Ottawa and the NY Rangers, while in the West we'll have Detroit and San Jose (I think Anaheim will suffer the Stanley Cup hangover and not repeat as Champions). In any case, tomorrow we start the season, and I can't wait! GO SENS GO!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]