Thursday, October 04, 2007

Listening to our Doctors


We put so much blind faith in our doctor's advice.

There is no other profession that perhaps we feel most practitioners have equal skill.

I remember getting that Lipitor prescription three months ago. The doctor compared my cholesterol levels to what's considered an acceptable level and told me it needs to go down. To help me out, he filled out a prescription. Interestingly enough, a lot of my friends wondered why I didn't ask more questions. For example, is it good or bad cholesterol in my system that's high? Are drugs really necessary? Is there alternative therapy I can take?

These thoughts never crossed my mind. Perhaps because I hadn't seen a doctor for about 1/2 my life, I didn't know what questions I could ask.

But my initial reaction was the doctor is doing what's best for me. Why would he tell me to take a drug when I don't need it? I trusted him 100%, even thought it was only the 2nd time I had seen him.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I'll carry on blindly when taking my doctor's advice. Maybe this needs to change.

Comments:
I've had some bad experiences at Appletree with doctors who gave conflicting advice and recommendations. Based on other dealings with the medical profession over the past few years, I suggest you start asking a LOT of questions next time you go for a visit.
 
My advice... find a family doctor. Here is the link. There are quite a few in Ottawa.
http://www.cpso.on.ca/Doctor_Search/dr_srch_hm.htm
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]