Monday, October 22, 2007

Frickin' Rogers

Rogers Cable is driving me crazy.

Ever since I got HD, I've had two technicians visit, two internet shutdowns and HDMI cables rendered useless.

For some reason, the two OMNI channels that are available in HD would not come up on the screen. Every other channel was fine, but not those ones. The first tech guy told me to exchange the HD box. So I did that, but they still wouldn't come up. They sent another tech guy in, who told me he didn't think anything he did would work, but simply changed the coaxial cable and that seemed to fix things.

Occasionally now, when I'm watching standard definition channels, a faint line runs down the middle of the screen that is really annoying. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it goes away. It isn't my TV because my other peripherals don't show this line. I tried changing the reception to HDMI from the component video connection, but that didn't change things. Now every three or four days, I get a message when I turn on my TV and the HD box that my TV doesn't support HDMI. If I cut the power off from the HD box to reboot it after waiting for a few minutes, HDMI then starts to work, but today the reboot procedure didn't do anything, so it's back to component video.

I also discovered Rogers doesn't carry every HD channel available, such as RDS HD. I got HD mostly for hockey games and RDS shows every Montreal Canadiens games in HD. But for some reason Rogers just has the standard definition RDS channel, and after emailing them they have no idea when they might get the HD version.

I'd rather just go to Bell or Starchoice but there is no line of sight at my condo to get satellite television. There was a flyer going around from Bell that said "Get Expressvu through your phone line!" Now doesn't that sound like they can send television signals through your phone jack? Well it doesn't. All that ad meant, after talking to a Bell representative, is that you can place orders for pay-per-view through your phone. Who cares? How is this a selling feature to switch to Bell? You still need a dish and receiver.

So I'm stuck with Rogers until I get a house. Guess I could go without cable altogether...nah, that's not going to happen.

Comments:
When I first got my PVR, I was in the condo on Laurier and had no end of troubles with it skipping during playback, etc...

Rogers gave me a million excuses, signal strength, line problems, splitting with Internet, etc... but whenever I asked if it could be the hardware, they would always say definitely not, sir.

When I moved into the house, I found that it was STILL happening, even after Rogers installed the new line, which could only mean one thing: The Box. They hate taking back the box, and will tell you everything they can to avoid doing it. Anyways, I ended up switching it and all the problems were gone.

Sorry to hear that your box switch didn't work, hopefully the problems don't get worse. Apparently they have a high failure rate, I'd wait a month or two and switch it again and see what happens.

-Stan

PS: ANOTHER new blog post!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]