Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Young Man's Jersey?

I've told anyone that's asked that I'll be picking up one of those new Sens jersey. I have an old black and red one, so it'd make sense to get the new white Reebok Edge design to complete the tri-fecta of colours available. So the next question: What player to put on the back of it?

Aside from picking players you're not 100% sure will still be on the team (see yesterday's post), is it weird for a 30 something guy to have a player that's 23 years old on his jersey?

I mean, I like Jason Spezza for example, and he might be considered a good choice. But geez, he's almost a decade younger than me.

Mike Fisher just signed a five-year extension so it looks like he'll be sticking around Ottawa for a little while. Now he's not so bad age wise, in that he's about 5 years younger than me. But still...

So I'm thinking Daniel Alfredsson might be the answer. He's older than me by a whopping 2 years, he's also the team captain so you get a nice "C" on the front of your jersey. But I already have his name on my red sweater, so do I want the same player again?

This may seem trivial, but serious fans have to sort through these types of decisions all the time.

Comments:
My thought process doesn't even include age into the equation:

Are they Canadian?
Are they signed for a few years?
Are they any good?

For you, it's gotta be Heater or Spezza, as soon as the Sens decide which one gets the contract and which one gets the boot. (Well, I suppose Fisher is a possibility)

I can't believe you're considering another jersey with Alfie on the back. You've already got the "C for Captain". What you really need is the "C for Canadian!"
 
A serious dilema indeed. I have no thoughts, except do what you want and don't worry about what other people think so much.
 
You said it Alex!

"No immigAnts!"
- Moe Szyslak
 
Simple economics buddy, this way you get to wear that jersey for international competitions. Oh, and that whole national pride, Canada being the dominant hockey nation, country where you live thing.
 
SBP,

My suggestion is:

Yzerman 19 C

Failing that:

Heatley 15

If Heatley gets traded or leaves you can still wear the jersey and maybe people will feel your pain at having lost such a great hockey player.

RBP
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]