Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Scariest Movie I've Ever Seen

Have you seen The Exorcist?

I remember the first time I ever saw it. I rented it from Video Heaven, the mom & pop video store in Blackburn just before I started working for Videoland a short time later. If memory serves me correctly, my grade 9 religion teacher, Mr. Parlato, talked about how this film disturbed him and how riveted the audience was after seeing it.

So of course, I had to see it. And perhaps because I am Catholic and believe in some (not all) of its teachings, I watched that movie and could barely get myself to sleep that night. I definitely believe in the possibility of demonic possession and the act of exorcism, so while I was watching it the realism of the film really got to meet me. The scene with Regan and the crucifix was (and perhaps still is) the most disturbing piece of film I have ever witnessed.

I remember recommending this film to some customers at the video store that were around my age, and when they returned it the next day they told me they thought it was funny. Funny!? Perhaps the special effects hadn't aged well, and it just wasn't gory enough for them to be scared. The Exorcist can't hold a candle in terms of the blood and gore today's horror films show these days. I guess audiences are too desensitized to be shocked like I was back in 1989.

In any case, I don't think another horror film can grab me like this one did. It truly is the most terrifying movie I've seen.

Comments:
OMG! The Exorcist is the scariest most terrifying movie I'VE ever seen, too! And I'm not even a Catholic!

(And by the way, who in the h*ll thinks this movie is FUNNY? I don't care if the person doesn't believe that what the film is showing might occur in real life. I would think that after the crucifix scene, even the most jovial among us would pause and note that The Exorcist is "kind of a downer." Also, as this scene disturbs you as much as it does me, SBP, it's clear you don't have to be a woman to react so strongly to that sort of violence.)
 
I couldn't get their "funny" remarks either. And that crucifix scene shocked me so much, I guess because I had a hard time fathoming what I actually saw. The point of evil knowing no limits is effectively depicted...maybe too much so, actually.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]