Monday, July 09, 2007

What are the kids listening to these days?

I wouldn't know. My music tastes are pretty contained. I don't listen to the radio and the odds of me listening to a song for the first time and liking it immediately are slim. Many of my friends get excited when something like Bluesfest rolls into town. Most of the time I haven't heard of the bands that are performing, or perhaps knew they existed but have no clue what songs they're responsible for. So I consider myself musically illiterate.

When I do come across a song I like, I tend to listen to that song repeatedly and forsake others. For example, it may surprise many I'm a big fan of the song "We Be Burnin'" by Sean Paul. Yup, SBP likes Sean Paul! It was extremely catchy...I heard it for the first time at a gas station. This black convertible pulled up and the song was blasting from the speakers, so I made an effort to listen to the lyrics so I could figure out what the song was. According to my iTunes folder, I've listened to the song on my iPod 500+ times. I wish I was kidding.

The last song that got my attention was from the game Guitar Hero II. They include a bunch of songs by indie bands and one of them is from a group called Freezepop and the song is titled "Less Talk More Rokk". The lyrics are kinda weak, but the riff is catchy and reminds me of my PS2. So that song has been getting a lot of attention lately.

I guess I have an obsessive personality to some extent. When I like something, I give it full attention, if not, it's at the back of my closet. I have one Depeche Mode CD (Violator) and it is one of my favourites. I do not own any other, and for that reason I can't call myself a Depeche Mode fan. Does that make sense?

BTW, I don't even know if Depeche Mode still records albums.

Comments:
So, have any Stripes tunes been added to your heavy rotation list yet? I suggest (in no particular order):

My Doorbell
There's no home for you here
Hello Operator
Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me?
Fell In Love With a Girl
The Air near my fingers
 
Oh, wow, Violator -- deservedly classic. That is a "play-through" record for sure.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]