Friday, July 13, 2007

One week later

Trying to be more responsible with my eating has been somewhat challenging but not all that bad. Some say the doctor may have gone overboard with prescribing me Lipitor, but there's no sense in risking it. I've even read some reports that only a change in diet may not necessarily be enough to significantly reduce cholesterol levels. Still, I've been maybe more paranoid then I should when deciding what to eat, but as I learn more it should get easier.

I like to eat out a lot, and thus I have to make smarter choices. My strategy is to avoid red meat, hard cheese, eggs, and fried foods as much as possible. My first outing I ordered salmon with grilled tomatoes with rice and mixed vegetables. There was a brownie explosion available to order, but yours truly skipped dessert. I still felt hungry afterwards, but 20 minutes or so later I felt full. Takes time for your body to recognize you don't need to eat any more.

Tonight I had fish with shrimp, tomatoes on top of pasta. I had about 1/2 the pasta as the carbs are high. No dessert again. Tuesday I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado, no mayo. I subbed the fries with salad, and I had the dressing on the side and plunged my fork in it instead of pouring it all over the salad. It's amazing how much dressing you don't eat when you try this method.

I still go to Subway. Before, I'd order a footlong sub. Then I switched to salad but I still felt hungry (even after those 20 minutes), so I compromised with a six inch sub. I always order one of their "6 grams of fat or less" options. I still have a weakness for dessert and get their brownie, but it's 140 calories and 2g of fat which is reasonable for a treat. Much better than the three cookies @ 200 calories a pop I used to enjoy!

I've lost about 4 pounds this week, which isn't a lot but it's something. The doctor's finding has forced me to be a little more healthier. We'll see we're I'm at in a few months.

Comments:
you lost 4 pounds this week!?!?!? that's insane...
 
Who told you you shouldn't be taking lipitor? Did they see your lab test results? Do they have access to the data in your medical records? Did they perform a physical on you or take a medical history from you? Do they even know the pharmicodynamics of lipitor?

Rediculous.

Listen to your doctor when it comes to these matters, not anyone else.
 
I guess some people have the mindset that I'm a relatively young guy and I still have time to change my lifestyle. That may be true, but with my family history, let's not risk it.

And yes, doctor's orders always come first.
 
What do you mean 4 lbs isn't that much? In one week? That's great! I congratulate you on your new-found interest in eating healthier (even if it wasn't a personal choice). Keep up the good work Ben. You may even inspire others to follow suit.
 
>yours truly skipped dessert

SBP, remember when Homer flashed back to the parallel universe where Marge replied, "Donut? What's a donut?" I feel like I've been transported to that other land RIGHT NOW. When's it going to start raining?

Seriously, though, good for you. It's tough to change eating habits, especially when you enjoy eating what you've been eating for decades (did someone say eclairs? Mmm...edible oil). Congratulations on sticking to it. As long as you don't fall to underweight status, the weight loss will just be -- if I may refer to sweets again -- the icing on the cake. Nice work.

(On an unrelated note: Def Leppard's "Foolin'" is playing on the radio as I type!)
 
Thanks Nirm! Don't give me too much credit yet...it's only been 10 days! Like I said, we'll see where I am after the 3 month follow-up.

And that's no f-f-f-foolin'!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]