Thursday, July 05, 2007

The iPhone

It can get quite annoying when a corporate giant like Apple can hype a product as much as they have with their iPhone and create insatiable demand for it, while the consumer completely ignores its shortcomings. What drives me mad about it is that Apple can fix the problems, make a solid product even better, and still make their billions of dollars all at the same time.

Now I don't have a cell phone, don't plan to buy one, and can live the rest of my life without ever having one to call one my own. For many though, the cell phone is their life line, so if they hear of a product that can make the cell phone experience so much better, hey, sign me up!

There are several problems with it that I would not consider a huge deal so I'll ignore those, but for the few considering dropping $500 for a 4G or $600 for an 8G iPhone, please remember these facts when you buy:

1. No replaceable battery. This is the biggest problem even a casual cell phone user will be annoyed with. It has an 8 hour talk time an 24 standby battery life. Apple says it can take about 400 charges before needing "service". What this means according to some, is that a person who buys the phone and who is then required to sign a 2-year contract, may have to return the phone to Apple for "service" on the battery before the contract is up. And for many who can't live without their cell for one day much less the time it takes for repair, this is a disaster.

2. One provider. In the States, it's AT&T. It won't come to Canada for awhile (insufficient inventories to meet demand, so Apple is just releasing it in the USA) but I heard Rogers will be providing the service for the iPhone. I HATE ROGERS. Like the iPhone? That's where you have to go. This has anti-trust written all over it, in my opinion.

3. No Flash or Java. These two programs are a STAPLE for internet browsing. How many sites DON'T have at least one of these applications? Absolutely brutal.

4. No keyboard. The touch screen sometimes covers up part of your text when you're trying to type. How annoying is that? Blackberry users will have a hard time getting convinced to switch.

5. No expandable memory. It cannot be upgraded, so you'll probably just throw it out once the iPhone 2.0 comes out for your consumption.

And that's another thing: I read people were lining up days before the product's release to get their hands on one. It's almost a given that the first version of a product will have tons of bugs to weed through, so I think people are just begging for problems when they insist they get theirs ASAP.

And there's my rant. Pardon me while I now listen to my 8G iPod Nano that I purchased 2 1/2 years after my 4 G iPod Mini's 8 hour battery life was cut down to about 1/2 that length.

Comments:
Three words: Product Life Cycle.

Don't get mad at Apple because they've created a new commodity in the marketspace and want to maximize their return on investment. They're following classic sales techniques for an innovative company.

The first segment of the population (AKA Early Adopters) don't care about price or features as much as having the next big thing. Apple knows this, and feel they have a solid enough product to go to that market. They wouldn't risk it with absolute junk, but there are always going to be bugs. They also know that if they put enough improvements into their 2.0 version, these same early adopters won't even get to their 400th charge before switching, so it's an easy risk to take.

They'll then get all the positive feedback about the interface, new features, etc... to sell the 2.0 version to the next group (Early Majority) at the same price, thereby displaying less risk and more value to the consumer, and completely expanding their revenues. I'm sure they've got a few features they've held back from this version just to make the proposition more enticing.

The late majority will see a couple of cosmetic changes, probably colours or the ability to customize things, and a decent enough price drop to play in that area.

As for the last segment, the laggards... well, you already said you don't need a cell phone, so Apple couldn't care less about you. Except when it comes time to tell you about all the cool things they're doing with a new ipod.

Oh, and your concern about blackberry users and the typing interface: Forget it. The only reason the iPod (and Apple as a whole, for that matter) has a market at all is that they focus on the innovation and usability niche that Microsoft / PCs put in as an afterthought. I guarantee you that most of the early adopters who waited in line for these phones are LOVING every single interface feature on there. And even if they don't, guess what? They're basically paying Apple for the privilege to be beta testers, and will be so in-love with Apple for listening to their concerns and fixing their products, that they'll be even more loyal than ever.

Call me a capitalist pig, but I love what these guys do.

-Stan

PS - I'll probably be in the late majority category if this thing reaches the same level of adoption as iPods did in the personal audio arena... I'm not crazy - I like my stuff to work properly. :)
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
If I would have owned a cell phone for more then, I think it was 6 months, in my life then these things might interst me.

Or maybe if I was so busy with business that I couldn't keep track then maybe, otherwise all these new 'want' toys seem like a waste of money to me
 
I`m waiting for the version that lets you play Pokerstars on it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]