Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Girls Have it Tough

Sure, I make the odd crack about how it's nice to have a woman do your laundry or how staying at home and taking care of a child is a holiday compared to going to the office to work, but deep down I don't mean these things when I joke about it. And more importantly, I do appreciate how much harder it is for a girl to carry on their everyday lives when compared to what a guy has to go through each day.

Guys have it pretty easy. The only inconvenience I have is shaving every day, and even then I can get away with one or two day's beard growth if I feel like it. And then there are some guys that just don't bother and let their facial hair grow in. And it's all ok.

It ain't so easy for the ladies. It could be self-imposed or maybe not, but women have to make frequent visits to the doctor to check up on all the extra maladies that can happen just for being female, the annoyance of shaving their legs and armpits because someone somewhere said it's unattractive, and having the inconvenience of a period each month: Boo! No thanks. I'll stick with my Phillishave and leave it at that.

My sister told me it takes her about one hour to ninety minutes to "get ready" for work each day. It takes me 20 or so minutes to shower, shave, brush my teeth, comb my hair and get dressed. Because there is so much emphasis on looks, girls spend tons of money on makeup, clothes and haircuts which leads to spending more time preparing themselves for the day. When I need to dress up a little, I can put on my one suit. I had one that I bought in 1999, and got a new one just last month. There is some social pressure that prevents a woman from, horror of horrors, wearing the same dress she wore six months ago to a wedding where the same people may have attended. The only reason I can think of this practice is the social stigma of a woman having to look good, and maybe different, when they're out in public.

And there is so much pressure on women to look beautiful. Everything is based on looks if you read magazines, watch commercials or movies. Why are there so many teenage girls that are throwing up to stay thin? Because they don't feel beautiful and the culture and society around them makes them feel insecure. Why do even the women who grace the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue still feel the need to get a nip and tuck? If those types don't think they're pretty, how does the average girl feel?

Guys on the other hand...it's almost a given every summer you'll see fat, hairy, white-skinned men strutting around without their shirts. They just don't care as much. Actors like John Goodman, Chris Farley, John Candy, Jack Black...there is more acceptance for being a male who is overweight and/or unattractive. How many overweight actresses do we embrace? Not too many.

And while progress is being made, women are paid less than their male counterparts and the harassment and sexist feelings many men still carry continue to be prevalent today. I remember being told in University maybe 50% or more women have experienced sexual harassment in one form or another in their lives. That's terrible. And not something anyone should have to put up with.

So, I'm a certainly grateful for being a dude, 'cause ladies, I have no idea how you do it.

Comments:
Just to defend myself my morning routine does include working out a run on the treadmill.
KKP
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]