Sunday, June 17, 2007

WSOP update

I'll cut right to the chase. Unfortunately, there was no money finish or championship bracelet to bring back home. After just over four hours of play, I was one of the many sent home packing.

Overall, I was happy the way I played. There were two or three hands looking back, perhaps I should have played differently, but otherwise the result was as good as it could get given the cards that I was dealt.

Starting with 3000 in chips, I managed to bring up my chip count to approx 4600. Nice! I was feeling good. The first hand I played was a raise with A-8 suited in diamonds from the cutoff. The big blind called. I said to myself if the BB checks to me, I don't care what the flop is I'm betting out. He did in fact check, I bet and he folded. Nice! 8s would continue to be nice to me. I won a decent pot after making a set of 8s on the river (and judging by my opposing player's reaction, he appeared annoyed, likely he had rockets or Kings). A four or five person pot had an 8 on the river, a guy bet out and I called, and my Ace-8 holding was good enough to take it. A multi-way pot made me complete my King-8 suited small blind and I flopped two pair and took down the pot (although it was a little scary being it was a board with all spades!).

The atmosphere was great. So many pros...the day I registered I saw Barry Greenstein, Humberto Brenes (ALL IN MY FRIEND!), Evelyn Ng, Hassan Habib, and Bernard Lee although he looked like he was in a rush so I didn't stop him to say hello. The day of the tournament, a $5,000 H.O.R.S.E. event was also taking place and I got pictures of Daniel Negreanu and Greg Raymer. I also saw Men the Master and Erick Lindgren.

My last hand I was severely short on chips. After the two hour break, for the next couple of hours the cards ran dry. I mean, I can't recall a time I've ever played where the cards were so dead. Down to less than 1900 in chips with the blinds 150-300 with a 25 ante, I pushed one from the cutoff with Ace-Five, hoping everyone would fold. I ran into pocket Kings, ugh! The flop brought three clubs and I held the five of clubs for a flush draw, but no Ace or club would come on the next two cards and I was gone. Jim, a gentleman in his 40s/50s from the southern USA, was the one that busted me out. Earlier in the tournament, he shook hands with me and told me he was trying not to look, but he could see one of my hole cards when I checked my cards. He did NOT have to tell me. The feeling is usually if you can't protect your cards properly, too bad. I was embarassed as I never experienced this problem before (I think). I thanked him for telling me. When I busted out, I told him he was the one person that if I was going to lose to, it was him. He had lots of chips and a good chance to finish in the money. I wished him luck.

As disappointing as it was to bust out, it was an experience I'll never forget. I have no idea if I'll ever have a chance to play in the World Series again, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Thanks to everyone who supported me during the time leading up to the big event. Thanks to Holly, Dan and Rick for rooting for me from the rail. Thanks to everyone who had enough faith in me and actually put some money towards that huge buy-in. And I really do hope I'll get another crack at it soon!

Comments:
Congratulations on living your dream buddy, most people just talk about how they wished they could do something or other... You worked a whole year of ebay sales and actually did it. I'm proud of you and sorry to hear that the cards didn't cooperate. Make sure you spend at least some of your time playing a few of the smaller buy-in tourneys at your hotel, I'm convinced you're good enough to cash.
 
For sure!!! And you still have $50 coming from me which I failed to get to you on time... so buy in and know it's coming to help out with the trip.

KP
 
Ah, too bad, but also congratulations! Carry on, SBP -- there are people waiting for you to weigh in on the Muckler development!
 
Okay, I know you're back and that you're off today, so let's see some bloggin'!
 
I'm on it now buddy!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]