Friday, June 01, 2007

SBP Goes to the Movies

A little while ago, I went to see Spiderman 3. I was going to do a review about it, but it was harder than I thought. It wasn't a bad film, there was decent action, special f/x, I liked Tobey Maguire and some of the over-the-top scenes of him trying to act cool & bad. I didn't care for some of the lame f/x of Venom (especially when he talked), there were too many plot points left unexplained for no reason other than to make room for a sequel, and the villains didn't do much for me. It was passable, and not much else. I guess there really wasn't much to write about.

Tonight, I went to see Knocked Up. It was my sister's most anticipated movie to see this summer and she convinced me to go. The movie title is good, but the trailers weren't all that funny so I wasn't expecting all that much. But it turns out it was really fun. The movie wisely avoids trying to get a PG-13 rating and allows the raunchy comedy to be itself. You laugh out loud several times at the vulgarity, but what's also good about Knocked Up is its heart. The story is about a girl who gets pregnant after a one-night stand and decides to get in touch with the unemployed, immature 23 year old Ben Stone to allow him the opportunity to become the full-time father she hopes he can be. The thing that adds to the enjoyment of the film is that you genuinely care for the characters. I don't know...I just didn't care much about the fate of Mary Jane in Spiderman 3. But with the character of Allison Scott, you want the movie to have a happy ending knowing she'll be ok.

I think Knocked Up will be one of those movies that will have good word of mouth going for it that will allows this movie to reach large audiences throughout the summer. Most movies last about 2-3 weeks before they disappear from the multiplexes, but this is one of those surprise finds that actually deliver the goods and leaves viewers happy.

So go see it!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]