Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Overhyping and another break

For some reason, perhaps because of the back to back trips by airplane I'll be taking, I thought of this story that happened a few years ago.

Ingrid had left for Australia, and planned to go an extended period of time, somewhere between 1 or 2 years. After several months had passed, Ingrid decided she wanted to come back to Canada early, but instead of telling everyone, she wanted to make it a surprise. Ingrid got in touch with me to tell me of her plan and asked me to get everyone together the day she gets back so she can surprise everyone with her early return. No problem, I said, but how do I get everyone together in one place without telling them the reason? So, I lied. Sort of.

I concocted this email that stated something along the lines of, "I want you to be at Jason and Genevieve's place at such-and-such date for a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT". Boo-ya! This got everyone intrigued. I sent it out about a week before Ingrid's arrival. Unfortunately though, my email was TOO intriguing. Everyone was expecting some sort of earth-shattering announcement. I refused to tell anyone what it was as Ingrid asked me for it to be a surprise, and it resulted in much anticipation of this "major" announcement. Some speculated I was going to tell everyone I proposed to someone, some thought I was going to announce I was a new Dad, others thought I was going to say I won the lottery and was going to share the cash. Yeesh. Not quite...

So Ingrid was draped in a cloth as I walked her inside J & Gen's abode, and I revealed her to all as the surprise. Everyone was happy to see Ingrid, but no doubt the thoughts of lottery winnings made the impact not as great as it should have been.

And that's the end of my story! Oh yeah...I ran into Ingrid at World Exchange during lunch today, maybe that's another reason why I thought of this story.

Anyway, I'm off to Newfoundland tomorrow to see Steve & Janice get married, so once more, another break from the blog. Never been to the Rock, and I look forward to it. It's going to be really nice to see Steve & Janice tie the knot after all the time they've been together. It will be a special occasion for sure!

See you again Tuesday or Wednesday!

Ben, aka, the OL SBP!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]