Thursday, June 21, 2007

Back to Ottawa, and Blogging!

Las Vegas was a good time, and although I'm not the sort to take advantage of the "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" rule, I don't really need to see strippers and get loaded every night to have a good time. This trip will, of course, be remembered mostly for playing in my very first World Series of Poker tournament. After getting back home and reflecting on the experience, it's hard not to be somewhat disappointed in the end result. There are just so many things that have to go right for you to come out ahead with event that revolves around gambling with over 2,300 participants, sure, but you just think to yourself, "Wouldn't it be great if I won?" Especially when I don't know if I will ever get a chance to play in it again. Time will tell, and in the meantime I'll just be thankful for having the opportunity to experience something many just dream of and never fulfill.

Rick took some great pics at the tourney and I thought I'd share them with you. They give a really good feel of what it was like to be there. And as my last night was spent seeing Penn & Teller, I've also posted some shots of me with Penn...and Teller! I'll post some more pics over the weekend:






And here's Penn & Teller posing with yours truly and Dan & Holly!



Comments:
Uhm...having read Alex's comments and now this blog entry...I have one big question. Why is this a 'once-in-a-lifetime opportunity'? If you had a great time, and truly believe you could finish in the money, why not go back next year? Why not make it an annual event? I realize there's a cost associated with this, but don't you think you could swing it assuming you didn't have a wedding in NFLD next year?

Besides, you gotta know Stan is going to want to go one year.
 
More Vegas pics at:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/retnet/2007.06.14_LasVegas/

/rt.
 
The reasons are all financial. I have other expenses coming up, like renovating my place. Assuming a mortgage has taken up so much of my discretionary income. Someone in Alex's shoes with a family to worry about does make it difficult.

Then again, maybe it isn't as big a deal as I'm making it.
 
Yes, but more importantly, did Teller actually speak when you met him?
 
You know what? He did! Very softspoken though, just a "thanks" and "sure" in a very low voice was all I got. But he speaks!
 
Vegas really IS a magical place!
 
I think my hand is on Penn`s ass in that last picture, but hey, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
DB
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]