Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Western Confernce Final - Detroit vs Anaheim



I was considering posting my predictions on the Sens-Sabres tonight since they start their series first...but that's not the way I started off my blog, and I don't want to jinx anything. So you're getting Ducks-Red Wings today.

My financial interests in hockey pools would have Detroit advancing to the finals to line my pocket. Datsyuk, who in past years has been a playoff nobody, finally is playing to his potential in the post-season, ditto Henrik Zetterberg. The Red Wings have an amazing ability to limit opponents' shots and play a good team concept. They may not have as much firepower as the Sabres or Senators, but they're still a good puck possession team and have outshot their previous playoff rivals by wide margins. Having said all that, I don't think they can get by Anaheim. The saying goes offense sells tickets, while defence wins championships, and I think the Ducks are the pick of the West when it comes down to D. The trio of Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin make it extremely difficult for their opposition to find the back of the net, and add to the fact they can put up points, too. You also can't forget Conn Smythe Winner J.S. Giguere in net, and after missing the first few post-season games has been dominate in net and has looked good.

This series will likely not be that flashy, and it actually might be unwatchable if I get the stifling defensive game I'm expecting. It won't be easy, but I'll go with the Ducks.

Ducks in 6.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]