Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ottawa vs Buffalo


This is the money matchup most hockey fans have been hoping for this post-season. Two teams with high-powered offence, posting #1 and #2 in the regular season for goals scored, and a bitter rivalry renewed this past February with brawls and other shenanigans.

I'll give Buffalo the edge in depth. They are capable of spreading out their scoring thus far in the playoffs while Ottawa has leaned on the Pizza line for the majority of their scoring. It's not to say I don't think Ottawa's 2nd and 3rd lines can't do better, but guys like Fisher, Comrie, Schaefer and Vermette need to put more pucks in the net if Ottawa is going to win.

I think Ottawa has played better defensively, not just by the 6 labelled as defensemen but also the forwards who have played smart & responsibly these playoffs. Even Spezza has found himself on the ice with just a few minutes left to play to preserve a lead and has even blocked a few shots. Buffalo hasn't looked as good in this area, playing a run and gun game against the Rangers that, while they came out ahead, won't be as successful if they try that style against the Senators.

A lot of people give Miller the edge over Emery in net, but I think it's more or less a wash. The numbers are pretty even, and last year's post-season was more of a learning experience for Emery and has learned from it. His team now has their complete backing and confidence in him, as last year many were just waiting for Hasek to return. Miller does have a little more experience, but it's not terribly substantial.

I sound like a homer, and maybe I am, but Ottawa has just looked so good this Spring. I think if they can bring their A game and at least split the first two games in Buffalo, they'll be ok. I pick the Sens.

Senators in 6.


Oddly enough, I was more uneasy anticipating how my Sens would fare against the Penguins than I do now. Their play has given so much confidence to their fans, this is probably the first time in awhile where excitement more than nerves has taken over. Their continued strong play aganst the Devils proved it wasn't a fluke.

Just play your hardest boys, and I won't ask for anything more.

Comments:
Entertaining game last night, hope they can both keep up that pace. I further hope they both don't decide that there were too many chances and turnovers, forcing 'em to scale it back a bit... Then again, Buffalo only got 20 shots.

Whaddya think of Saprykin now?
 
Like I said earlier, Saprykin over Roberts any day of the week!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]