Wednesday, May 02, 2007

One more to go

The Senators are exceeding my expectations and I have no complaints.

Being up 3-1 against the New Jersey Devils is a fantastic accomplishment. A lot of people picked a back and forth series with many seeing it go to a game 7, but with the dominating play of Ottawa, this series might have been a sweep had they gotten a little more lucky in OT in game 2.

Ottawa probably played their best game of the series in game 3, but tonight, after coming out hard in the first period, there were a little back on their heels and I was getting concerned at all of the bad penalties they were taking, which led to the game being tied 1-1 with a powerplay goal by Brian Gionta. Getting a somewhat fluky 2nd goal by Dany Heatley got their momentum back, and they were the better team for more or less the rest of the game.

Some tense moments towards the end of the third period, but you had to love Anton Volchenkov's last minute blocked shot on Patrik Elias that ended up being the Devils last good chance to score. I've seen Ottawa make so many unselfish great plays like that since the start of the post-season; it's the sort of thing that will help them go forward.

It was weird for me during the game that for some reason, I felt relaxed tonight. The usual stress I experience didn't really hit me as much as it usually does. Maybe it had to do with Ottawa getting a quick early goal that helped ease the tension, who knows, but with just one victory to get to the final four...wow, the excitement is truly overwhelming. It ain't over till it's over, though, and the Devils won't go away quietly. Game five should be a good one.

Side note: Loved the spontaneous chants of "Alfie, Alfie!" heard throughout the crowd tonight. The team captain is truly leading by example, and laying to rest any thoughts he should be playing somewhere else that has followed him for most of his career.

Comments:
I hope that your blog post on Saturday has a big picture of a coffee cup...

...because Coffee Is For Closers!
 
SBP! I need you to weigh in on this Shane-Doan-as-captain government inquiry!
 
That's my next blog entry...don't you worry Nirm, I'm on it!
 
Excellent.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]