Tuesday, May 15, 2007

21 and in Love

I was out at the Highlander Pub tonight with some new people I met and they started talking about a friend of theirs who was 21 years old and got engaged. She got an engagement ring with a .15 carat diamond. All of them were making jokes about how small the diamond was (I asked what the proper size diamond should be since I have no clue about these things. and apparently at least a 1/2 carat ring is the way to go) and that they're already throwing their life away being married so young. The conversation ended and we went on to something else.

I thought to myself a little more about the situation of that couple. Personally, I couldn't picture myself getting hitched at that age. But really, there is no sure formula for these things. I bet that ring the guy bought was probably the most he could afford...how much money did you have at 21? Almost everything is working against them, but I have to admire that they're going to try to make it work anyway. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but it really isn't fair for me to judge them when facts state no matter what age we are, marriages fail at a rate of about 50%.

It's almost like society dissuades you from keeping your relationships intact if you happen to meet someone at a relatively younger age. Somehow you don't "discover" who are you are and that you'll feel you've missed out on life because you haven't dated tons of people. Maybe you think this way and that's cool, you could be right. In my opinion, if you manage to find happiness at 21, maybe instead you're lucky. Perhaps you've saved yourself a lot of time and agony by being fortunate enough to get it right early.

I wish that unknown couple good luck.

Comments:
All I could think of while reading this story was that this was the setting for a ballad by Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, or maybe Bruce Springsteen...

Anyways, yeah, not sure what to think about the "expectations" of acceptable diamond size, or anything "acceptable" for a wedding. It's supposed to be the couple's day to demonstrate their love and commitment to each other, I don't know how many rules there need to be to accomplish that.

I hope those two crazy kids make it !
 
Holly and I started dating when we were 19(Holly) and 20(me), engaged at 22/23, married at 24/24.5 and we're still going strong 12.5 years and 3 kids later. Of course, I had to buy her a much bigger ring.
 
"In my opinion, if you manage to find happiness at 21, maybe instead you're lucky. Perhaps you've saved yourself a lot of time and agony by being fortunate enough to get it right early." I agree! Dan and are were engaged when I was 22 and so far so good! I know we're the exception these days, but no regrets here!
 
Guess I should've waited and read Dan's comment before making my own. Nice Dan, nice.
 
Great post, SBP! I agree that focusing on the size of the diamond is ridiculous. A lot of couples with huge, flashy rings have split up, so what good is a rock in the end? (I suppose the ex-wife can pawn it for some nice cash.)

Big rings may come in handy if you're in some sort of competition with your friends, but if that's the sort of relationship you have with your friends, you likely have more pressing issues to address, like maybe self-esteem and equating material goods to commitment.

[Nirmala then rode away on her extremely high horse. Sorry about the sanctimony, everybody!]
 
It is always easy to judge someone else's situation, maybe it helps people validate their own life decisions???

I do not have to explain or defend myself, just wanted to say that I met Marc when I was 18 1/2 and come June 2007 it will be 10 yrs together. And as cheesy as it might sound I am happy to have found my best friend earlier than later.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]