Saturday, April 28, 2007

Wouldn't it be nice...

If my Ottawa Senators can defy odds and bring home the Stanley Cup to my home town of Ottawa, that would be a dream come true for the entire city and its fans, of which I am one.

I remember the euphoric feeling I had after Team Canada took home the gold medal on February 24, 2002. Everyone was jacked. All my friends that I took that game in with were glowing with excitement. We were hugging each other and I was hugging complete strangers, too. The fans poured out on the streets and headed towards Parliament Hill, and cars where driving back and forth honking their horns while high-fiving people they had just met wearing their red and white Canada jerseys. It was like from day one, when we'd debate who should be on the team, how they can play better, who should play on what line, how are they going to regroup from their slow start...it was sort of like we were all in this together, and our faith and patience paid off and we had won. There wasn't one friend who wasn't cheering on Team Canada, exclaiming how Canada sucks and Team USA is where it's at. We all wanted that gold medal.

The Senators still have ways to go...the playoffs are just barely 1/4 of the way through. But just thinking about how fun & exciting it is when your team comes through is enough to put up with the disappointments most fans deal with year in and year out. There's only one downside to Ottawa's playoff run as opposed to Team Canada's Olympic gold...not all of my friends care for the Sens. As a matter of fact, many HATE the team. They'd rather see Lord Stanley make a trip to Nashville or Anaheim. It's unfortunate for me, because they won't be around cheering with me if Ottawa wins it all.

My other dream, of course, is to overcome the anticipated 2000+ entrants and win a World Series of Poker bracelet this coming June. Mike Caro, noted poker pro and author, sums up your chances in tournaments with this line: "The odds are you aren't going to win". There are so many mine fields to avoid, so much timing, skill and of course the one variable you have no control over, luck, your chances are, well, about 2000-1. But we try anyway.

An unnamed friend said to me what is the likelihood of both of these events happening to me in the exact same year...a Stanley Cup AND a WSOP bracelet? One of these things is already getting greedy, perhaps, but both...how high are your expectations?

They are high, and maybe unrealistic. But it keeps me going, and reliving that same high from 2002 I would give for almost anything. I have dreams, and the only thing left for me is to hope they come true.

And I'll probably naively keep on doing so, until it does.

Comments:
What about your dream of getting laid. Guess that will have to wait until next year.
 
I'm really tired of your crap, Anonymous. That's outta line. I don't care if you think it's funny or whatever to stir things up, but have some class if you consider any of us friends. And if you're not, then congratulations, you got a reaction from me. Now go &#*! yourself.
 
Anonymous, you $^$&% pansy, I have to agree with Stan "I don't care if you think it's funny or whatever to stir things up, but have some class".

You make a comment like that while taking no credit for it really weak, but then again if you would add your name then you might be beaten senseless which is what I would like to do to you right now…

sorry to everyone else for me being childish right now but since anonymous is a childish, chicken shit, nancy I thought that I would be a little childish.
 
Ben, can`t you erase stupid comments from anonym-ass. I had this problem with a you tube post and I just deleted it. It`s like graffitti, the longer it stays up the more credit this guy gets.
 
I've enabled comment moderation so I'll have to OK any comment someone leaves. That should fix it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]