Thursday, March 01, 2007

Random SBP thoughts

- I have no idea who these people are, but any site dedicated to writing about the enjoyment of cupcakes is ok by me! http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/

- I've missed two days at work this week, including today. Feel bleah. Living on your own kinda sucks when this happens, because you're coughing and sneezing and you have to go out on your own to pick up some Neocitran.

- Went to the Hurricanes-Sens game last night w/Alex with an assist by Kylie for picking up the tickets for my birthday. Alex got the Bret Hart screwjob the last game I went to so I made it up to him. Not much intensity, but the highlight reel save by Emery towards the end was really sweet.

- My bathtub has stubborn stains that I can't get rid of. I would never have mentioned something like that 10 years ago.

- I am reluctant to call anyone on a whim asking if they want to do something, because I have no idea what to do

- My work's morale is starting to get low, although mine is fine. I have to try to stop their morale from affecting my own.

- I'd like to thank U2 from coming to Scotiabank Place in November of 2005 as it seemed to alert other high-profile bands of the existence of Ottawa for a small period of time. I'm asking them to come down again as bands like The Police, Killers, Madonna, etc. are opting to play as many as three shows in Toronto and skipping Ottawa altogether.

Peace!

Comments:
I really don't mind if Madonna passes Ottawa by among others...
 
She's no Def Leppard, I agree!
 
Sorry BP not to bitch or anything and this isn’t against you it is against Ottawa…

There are a few things that we need before we can be known in the musical world and to get great talent…something that really bugs me about music are people that say “Band x put on a great show!” who cares! if the music sucks I am not going to stay at a concert just bc they are putting on a “great show”

First we need people to seek great Talent not names. U2 for example big name but honestly the most highly overrated band of all time…

Second we need people to come out and appreciate the not so well known bands for their talent. Toronto gets tons of huge and small bands, why?

1. There are 5 million people in TO, granted.

BUT 2. There is a large majority of people that will go out to see all varying styles of musical shows for the music not for the show. For example you might not be a big, Big Sugar fan, but while I lived in TO Gordie Johnson –lead singer/guitarist big sugar- played many acoustic shows in small bars. You will not see a better blues/rock/acoustic guitarist around, and many times for free…

What’s my point? The majority of those in Ottawa will only go to the big name shows; there is a small minority that will go to the small shows where sometimes the better talent resides…
Big shows might mean big crowds but unfortunately doesn’t mean that it will encourage talent.. Go to a concert in Montreal for example the people truly rock compared to Ottawa…

As it has been said a few years ago “The city that fun forgot” why bc of those stuffed shirts that are in it and keep it that way…
 
Tell us how you really feel, Forts! :)

We'll have to agree to disagree on U2, but I think you make a good point about getting people to care about music in general instead of the "name" acts.

I can't wait for Plan-B to chime in on this one!

Seeing Stereophonics at Zaphod's was a fantastic experience for me, and this was the same tour where they'd played stadiums in the UK, trust me, I appreciated what I was taking part in.

Also, there *are* venues in the Ottawa area that cater to the independent artist. The Black Sheep has hosted many current and future big talents, for one...

BP: What're your top 5 acts that you'd like to see in Ottawa in the next year?

-Stan

PS - Forts, I'm a Big Sugar fan and respected the impact they had/have on the Canadian music scene.
 
Stan doesn't surprise me that you are a Big Sugar fan and good on you for it...I do want to debate the U2 thing though…

Plus I agree that people like you, Plan B, myself, Tracy and others might be in to the venues –black sheep inn- that you speak of…but that is my point there are a minority of us that do so in Ottawa…going to the bar now talk to you later on this
 
Top 5 acts eh? Hmmm...The Killers, Nine Inch Nails...I think I've pretty much already seen every band I want to live. I'd see the Police if they decided to come to Ottawa. I can't even think of 2 more bands. That's how tuned in I am to the music scene.
 
So.... what're you complaining about? :)
 
Forts, Aerosmith called, they want the title of most highly overrated band of all time back.

9 acts I'd like to see in Ottawa in the next year:

Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson & Ben Harper, Radiohead, Ryan Adams, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Wolfmother, and David Gray.
 
Nice list Steve…many of the same bands that I would like to see make their way to Ottawa…

Good point I guess Aerosmith would take first, U2 second, Although I like a few of their songs KISS is in the top 5…
 
Sorry how can i foget to add Nickelback to the list of highly overrated
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]