Wednesday, March 14, 2007

300

A night of planning for my Vegas trip at Milestones ended with a decision to check out 300 at the cinema. This will be quick, as I really need to get to sleep, so here goes:

This movie is silly. I mean, there's quite a few scenes that come across as humourous and I'm not sure if that was the intention of the director. The violence and blood are just way too over the top, I found myself laughing at the beheadings because it came across as so ridiculous. The CGI can be quite poor. It displays the battlefields and soliders well enough with a yellow hue to give it that historical/comic book feel, but the blood looks like dirt and dissipates just as quickly.

The dialogue is also ridiculous. Every speech is trying to be epic and they like to yell a lot, speaking in cliches about dying for glory. And I don't know if this is very p.c. of me to say, but the costumes were quite gay. The mighty Spartans were bare-chested donning red capes complete with fur speedos. If they can construct swords, spears, shields and battle helmets, certainly some chest & leg armour might be a good idea? And when you see the King Xeres (I have no idea if I spelled that right and I'm too tired to look it up on Wikipedia), well, he's got a gold speedo, and he doesn't feel the need to wear a shirt, either.

They also have this modern rock guitar score, which is completely out of place for the few hundred B.C. time period the story is supposed to take place and is really distracting. The battles scenes have too many MTV quick cuts to my liking as well, but that aren't too long so you don't quite reach for the bottle of aspirin right away.

Anyway, I don't think there's really anything memorable here, and waiting for DVD is certainly an option. I hear they're planning a sequel, so let's start the jokes: shall we call it 301? 300 2? 400? 3000? .....

Comments:
Thanks for your review. I was hoping someone would put this clusterfuck of gratuitousness into perspective. As for the sequel, according to your review, perhaps they should just call it Back, or call it Off, or call it A Day.
 
Let me get this straight: one of your key complaints regarding the flick is the costumes? Basically a bunch of guys don capes and fight in speedos.

What's the problem? You like wrestling. Otherwise known as a bunch of guys who don capes and fight in speedos.
 
You didn't like it? JT said it was awesome!!!

And if there are three more annoying letters than PPV...they are CG and I.
 
I totally admit it. Hypocrite thy name is SBP, again. But I don't know, it's just so much more blatant with 300, it's kinda funny. You have Xerexes showing up on screen asking everyone to "kneel" in front of him all the time, while he wears press-on nails and mascara, along with those damn speedos. The Spartans would resist "kneeling" of course, and I coudn't help but laugh to myself thinking it was a metaphor for Xerxes wanting the Spartans to become gay, but they're struggling with their sexual identity so they're unsure whether they want to go through with the act of "kneeling before him" and "showing submission" to the King.

I don't think WWE is that blatant. Or maybe it is.
 
Zero interest in seeing this flick, but then again, I still haven't gotten around to seeing Sin City, so maybe I just don't like my Frank Miller comic adaptations...

PC or not: Wrestling's gay.
 
I will lend you Sin City if you want it Stan...it is a must see...one of my all time favorites
 
Hypocrite is thee, thy name: SBP.

Agreed Forts, I as well own and quite like the Sin City.

I think I'll check out Zodiac in the theatre and 300 on DVD.

Unless my buddy Julian wants to see 300 in the theatre for a seventh time.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]