Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Muckler Mucks it up

Pick up the paper. Take a look online. Check out the NHL standings. There's the Senators, sitting well in 4th place. Imagine the playoffs are today, guess what? They're playing the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins who just acquired Gary Roberts and George Laraque.

I don't know how Muckler screwed this up, especially in light of what the Pens gave up to get Roberts: a prospect named Noah Welch who was drafted in 2001.

Do you think Pittsburgh has "mortaged" their future? I don't. And considering the Sens are still one the youngest teams in the league, very much like the Penguins in some respects, I have to wonder how many more draft picks Muckler thinks he needs to hold onto. Does he think sending a 1st round pick this year will somehow make the Sens hit rock botton? Was there no way Muckler could have topped this trade? To me, it seems the Pittsburgh gave up very little to get a heck of a lot.

Guess what Mucks? Now that you felt you cannot "add without subtracting", you've put the Senators in the worst position possible: instead of Roberts who WANTED to play alongside the likes of Alfredsson and Heatley, now he's suiting up with Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Does this increase or decrease your chances of a Stanley Cup run this year?

Your answer is Oleg Saprykin. He's a 26 year-old kid, with no leadership abilities, no veteran experience, and managed only 6 points in 25 or so games with Calgary during the cup run just before the lockout. Does this kid sound like a game-breaker to you? Not likely.

Hey, I think some teams have gone too far, like I wrote yesterday that Tkachuk trade was ridiculous. Some risks though, DO get rewarded. Risks are what allow for success. If you're not willing to roll the dice a little, how succesful can you be?

I think Muckler has blown it again, and if the Sens have an early exit again this year, I beg and PLEAD with Eugene Melnyk to get the ball rolling and fire this guy. I hear Bryan Murray used to be a GM.

Other thoughts: To all you Oiler fans out there, I feel bad for you. I cannot believe management could not find a way to re-sign Ryan Smyth. And that sends a message, in my view, that they have no hope of the Oilers making the post-season. The ultimate screw-job for Oiler fans.

Comments:
I've heard at least two Sens fans tell me that they're glad they didn't get Roberts, as he's a former Leaf.

I found that very funny.
 
If the Comrie deal happens yesterday, rather than a month earlier, most people in Ottawa would be tickled pink about trade day. Intead, everyone compares themselves relative only to the moves made yesterday.

Having said that, I am a little disapointed the Sens weren't willing to give up a little more than what the Oil got for Smyth. But something tells me that deal was done at the wire, without a lot of opportunity to shop him around. If you ask me, Kevin Lowe is the one GM who should be fired, he blew it yesterday.
/rt.
 
Like I said before, nothing would stick it to the Leafs fans more than seeing one of their favourites donning a Sens jersey.

I don't like some Sens' fans thinking!
 
There's nothing on the books (yet) that prohibits the Oilers from signing Smyth in July, though right? Maybe he's being the ULTIMATE team guy by getting a couple of developing playings onto the Oilers, trying to win a cup with the Islanders (well, okay, maybe not), and then coming back home...
 
"developing playings" = developing players... you know what I meant...
 
I read Smyth said he wouldn't re-sign based on what happened yesterday, but time heals all wounds. Maybe he'll come around.

Perhaps it's all a muse...maybe Lowe and Smyth held private discussions, admitting the Oilers have no chance of making the playoffs, they can do this trade to bolster their future, then they can re-sign Smyth once he's officially a UFA. The perfect crime!

This might be the first year in NHL history where the Stanley Cup winner and finalist from the previous season won't make the playoffs.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]