Friday, February 02, 2007

2000 Games



2000 of anything is an accomplishment.

Brian "Killer" Kilrea will be behind the bench for the Ottawa 67s tonight in his 2000th game against the St. Mike's Majors, just one of many milestones for the 72 year-old coach in his lifetime. When you figure the revolving door job security of a hockey coach, it makes this achievement just that much more impressive.

Ottawa doesn't have too many well known figures in the public eye. And those that are known, like Matthew Perry and Sandra Oh (hmmm...you have to really look for them, don't you!?) have left this city to pursue their careers. Kilrea is one of the very few that we can call "our own".

He tried his hand playing NHL hockey, scoring the very 1st goal for the expansion franchise Los Angeles Kings but couldn't keep his name on the roster. He tried coaching in the NHL but it wasn't for him. He loved coaching the Ottawa 67s and stuck with them for over three decades, and it's hard to imagine the junior squad without him.

I met Kilrea just once, a couple of summers ago at a pub on Bank St (whose name now escapes me!) for a pre-golf charity fundraiser. He insisted you call him Brian but for me I still had to call him Mr. Kilrea. He was friendly and all smiles, a true gentleman.

Can he coach another 2000 games by the age of 102? I don't think he has anything left to prove, but if anyone can, it's Killer.

Comments:
Why didn't he let you call him Brian like everyone else?
 
That came across wrong...what I meant was that because of the age difference and the respect I had for him, I felt I should still call him Mr. Kilrea. He wanted me to call him Brian.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]