Monday, January 15, 2007

The Romanticism of Crime

The photo you're looking at is that of Paddy Mitchell, dubbed my many as the Gentleman Bandit, born and raised in my town of Ottawa. He was the leader of a group called the "Stopwatch Gang". All of his bank robberies were done with skill, precision & timeliness, and not one person ever got injured or killed. He stole millions of dollars during his career as a criminal, and yesterday he died of cancer behind bars where he was serving a 60+ year sentence with no chance of parole. He tried to get extradited to Canada, but that didn't happen. He successfully escaped from prison more than once in his lifetime, and I'm sure that may be one of many reasons he didn't get too many requests granted.

Anyway, I'm reading a couple of articles about his death, and to me it was quite alarming how many people think this guy is the cat's meow. I mean, HE'S A CRIMINAL! He STOLE! "But he didn't hurt anybody!" you might say. So what? I'll agree if someone is going to turn to a life of crime, it'd be nice if no one got hurt along the way. But the bottom line is, he deserved to be in jail and his actions should not be glorified. He took things that didn't belong to him. That's a crime. Disagree with me? Well, I'll come by your house with a large sack and take everything of value to you, but I'll be sure to shake your hand & say thank you when I'm done. Would you hold the door open for me as I leave? That sack I'm carrying is pretty heavy.

His son called him a hero. A hero?! What for? How does stealing give you the "hero" label? His son also went on to say that Paddy viewed banks as evil because they foreclosed people's houses and destroyed futures, so he was justified in stealing from them. Maybe there's some truth to that, but it's not like he was taking from the rich and giving to the poor. He wanted to live a millionaire's lifestyle but didn't want to hold down a job. He wanted the money without putting in a hard effort. So it took the shortcut called crime, pocketed every cent he stole and definitely didn't help anyone who got foreclosed on their mortgage.

We have a fascination with the famous. If they've been on TV or in the newspaper, we hold them in a different light and think of them as God-like or whatnot. It doesn't make any sense. They are people just like you & me, the only difference is that their face has been splashed across a magazine cover. They are not above the law, nor do they have some form of higher thinking that will bring society to bliss.

This is a criminal who politely stole money. It's an interesting story, but he's no hero.

Comments:
Yawn.

Nice try but there's only one REAL Bandit.

He was a nighlife hero in the late 90s who teamed up occasionally with Smokey to battle a mutual adversary named Dr. Freeze.
 
Daddy was a bank robber but he never hurt nobody. He just loved to live that way and he loved to steal your money.
 
Hey, who's stealing my "yawn" bit?

Also: Who expects SBP to get a Clash reference?
 
Stans: add one more to the list of missed the boat on the Clash reference.

Ben,
Brilliant column. I agree strongly to 95%. I must say though, that his story is an interesting one and would even make a good movie if handled correctly. I was thinking Billy Conolly could play him acurately if he could quell his accent as Hugh Laurie does on House.

Another interesting point: he's lucky he never got back to Canada, as a Canadian convict I heard on CBC explain once, as he'd served over a decade on both sides of 49 - the US prison system is shangri-la compared to up here in Canada. Must be either the weather, the smoking ban or the fact that Canadians have much bigger cocks.
 
I agree BP; you are a criminal you stole that is all that matters...it doesn’t matter how you did it you are a criminal you die in prison then so be it.
But some cases are interesting for how complex the crimes were or how intelligent and precise the criminal was as in this case.

This got me thinking of a story I came across a few years ago so I wrote a quick blog about it…

http://mountainmarc.spaces.live.com/
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]