Thursday, January 25, 2007

Random SBP thoughts...

- If you're looking to put money down on the Oscars, I'd bet Little Miss Sunshine to take Best Picture, Martin Scorsese to take best director for The Departed, Forrest Whitaker for best actor in The Last King of Scotland, Eddie Murphy for best supporting actor in Dreamgirls and I'm unsure about the actress categories. The Academy seems to love Judi Dench, though.

- I'm glad Dreamgirls didn't get a best picture nomination as many thought it would. It was a safe, unchallenging film with scenes that are embarrassing to watch (anything where they "sing" a scene instead of playing it out seriously). Eddie Murphy will win his Oscar more for his life's work, not so much for his 15 minutes of screen time in this film.

- A family friend had surgery to remove a brain tumour and it was successful. It came out of nowhere, but was beaten just as fast.

- Last week was pretty busy. This week...not as much. Aside from Ultimate on Monday night, I watched poker and some all-star crappy hockey for the rest of it. I'm planning on playing more cards tomorrow, Saturday and if I last, Sunday.

- Speaking of Ultimate...after five seasons, Ultimate Crisis is now finished :(. Taking its place is a new team that may be called Frank the Tanks (that's what I voted for, anyway).

- My great uncle's WWI diary lacks detail, but when I read the words "Pure Hell" when describing the previous night's shellings, it hit me pretty hard. He was only 22 when he died.

- For only the 2nd time in the 7 1/2 years of my current job, I hung up on a client because of his potty mouth

- Finally did some grocery shopping, but the final bill only came to $18.36. I need to do more.

- I have a new TV I'm interested in getting...sometime. Click on "Big TV!" to see it!

- Decided to go through my old hockey cards on Ebay and found out most of them are pretty worthless. I have one good find: A mint/near mint Pat Lafontaine Rookie card. If I pay $8.00 to get an official grading of it, I could sell it for about $90, and that's in US dollars baby!

- I got one more sponsor for my World Series tournament. NICE! I just might make 1/3 of my buy-in.

- I spent my time converting my Itunes music from AAC to MP3 last night thinking it would take up less space, but it's still about the same, from what I remember.

- A bracelet and a Stanley Cup in 2007 would make this year about as perfect as SBP could ask for.

Comments:
nice tv man!!
 
It is a nice TV! Not to be a jerk or anything, but it's only a 720p resolution. Big's nice, but if you're gonna use it with the new hi-def DVDs etc... why not go with the best resolution on the consumer market, or at least 1080i?
 
You can get 720p native resolution from a projector that'll throw at least a 65" widescreen for less than the cost of that tv...

I'm just sayin'.
 
I thought 70p and 1080i were the same thing...shows you how much I know! BTW, what are you doing reading blogs at 2am? Don't you have to work in five hours!?
 
Not even close to the same thing, buddy. TV HD broadcasts are in 720 (for now anyways) so you won't see much improvement on a higher res unit, but you won't get the most out of the blu-ray and HD discs that're coming out, or things like a PS3 or Xbox 360.

Irony of ironies: I took today off to try to finish my drywall, and my boss said not to use a vacation day, just "be sick". Well, around 8pm yesterday Kerri got a nasty stomach bug, so I'm on Finn duty. We're just hoping that Finn (or I) doesn't catch it!
 
Okay, I'm back with more info on the 720p versus 1080i.

While the 1080 has more lines (360 of 'em) the interlacing (that i in 1080i) doesn't render super fast motion (like sports) as well as a progressive scan (the p in 720p). But really, that'll also depend on the quality of the decoder.

Bottom line: Get yer 720p if you like it, it's big enough, and the picture quality is good. But bring your own DVD to see how the unit displays the colours, motion, etc... on the showroom floor.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]