Sunday, December 17, 2006

SBP's theory of cold

Living in Canada's capital gives us the dubious honour of living in the world's coldest national capital. But you can't really tell that from looking out the window or walking about outside.

So far, there is no accumulated snow on the ground with just one week away from Christmas. The temperature is now 9C as I write this and the rest of the week is supposed to have temperatures above freezing. A lot of people like this; in fact, most point out how wonderful it is outside and how we don't have to deal with shovelling 30cm of snow or bundling up because it's so cold outside.

While there is some truth to that, to me this isn't a good sign. While the fall-like weather is easier to live with, what does this mean when the world's coldest capital isn't really all that cold? To me, what it means is every country will be underwater in a few decades if nothing is done about the rising temperatures caused by global warming.

It's just odd to me people don't stop and think about it for a moment. "Hey, isn't it great? I can wear my Hawaiian shirt!" Yeah, and it's also going to be great when in a few years your scuba gear will work as an ensemble with that shirt, as you're underwater trying to find the remnants of your flooded home.

We live in Canada. We have winter. We have snow. We have cold. It's a bit unsettling when none of these constants come around when it's time for them to arrive.

Comments:
Sorry BP I hate to be a geographer but since I am one Ulaan bataar, Mongolia is actually the world's coldest climate. And if you want to know their avg annual temp is about
-1.5'C.

Just for some further info the world’s coldest recorded temp was -89’C in Vostok Station in Antarctica. Can’t believe I get to study this stuff…love it… I will stop being a geek now.
 
I hate to be a nitpicker, but he said coldest "Capital", meaning capital city...

(please still come over and help me fix my basement!)
 
Hmmm, just googled ulaanratatooie and I just learned something new... like, that it's the capital city of Mongolia...

...and apparently pretty cold.

Still, it's second place to my favourite sounding capital city: Bandar Seri Begawan!

(please still come over and help me fix my basement without sarcastic comments about your superior geographical knowledge)
 
Neat-o:

Ulaan-Baatar 29.7°F/-1.3°C
Astana (Kazakhstan) (unavailable)
Moscow (Russia) 39.4°F/4.1°C
Helsinki (Finland) 40.1°F/4.5°C
Reykjavik (Iceland) 40.3°F/4.6°C
Tallin (Estonia) 40.6°F/4.8°C
Ottawa (Canada) 41.9°F/5.5°C
 
Doubting my "superior geographical knowledge" are we? Well that may cost you…but I suppose that I will still come and help since you are begging, er I mean asking so nicely…
 
I think I got that fact about Ottawa being the coldest national capital from Blackburn Arms trivia night or something, so sources are suspect at best.
 
No worries BP just wanted to make sure that your blog was accurate and make sure that all those who frequent it were aware that Mongolia has the world’s coldest capital city…
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]