Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ottawa Stinkators

I completely admit it.

I was fooled. Duped. Too optimistic for my own good.

I actually thought the Ottawa Senators had it in them to turn the slump around. I believed all the talk from the players that they'd start winning some games. Good teams do that. But with only 1 win in their last 8 games, 13th in the 15 team Eastern Conference, I've been waiting & waiting and nothing is going right.

It amazes me how many different ways they find to lose. Back-to-back games they chased the starting goalie out of the net, only to have the other team return from being down and out to picking up the win.

How many short-handed goals have they allowed? Worst in the league in that department. And with all that offensive talent, they are in the bottom five in powerplay goals and can never seem to score when they are down by just a goal, and if they do, they blow that momentum by allowing untimely goals to quickly follow.

That's another thing...much like the playoffs, they can't surmount a comeback when trailing, even if the difference is just one goal. Last night, they were down 4-1, but managed to rally to make it 4-3. Much like the rest of the season, I actually thought they might pull it off and tie it up. But whenever they come so close, they always manage to screw it up and give the other team the victory.

Martin Gerber has been absolutely brutal. He gives up weak goals and Emery, on the sidelines, can't do much while he heals. And things aren't getting any easier, with two games against the best team in the NHL, the Buffalo Sabres, tomorrow and Saturday.

I have no idea if it's the players to blame, if Coach Murray can't get through to the club, if Muckler created this mess or what. But I am going to say it right now: I no longer think the Ottawa Senators are making the playoffs this year. It was a given for the last decade they'd make it, but not this time. They haven't given me any reason to believe anything is going to change at the rate they're going.

This doesn't mean they're no longer my team, or that I'll stop watching or talking about them. I'll always be a fan. But it just means my expectations have gotten so low, any accomplishment they make this year is just a bonus.

Sens for life.

- The ol' SBP


p.s. For fun, I wanted to see how their farm team, the Binghamton Senators, have been doing over in the AHL. Let's see: Oh...dead last in the East. Perfect. There's sunshine on the horizon.

Comments:
Go Leafs Go !!!
 
Yeah, what he said!

But seriously, I just did a projection, and basing your season on what happens in the first quarter of the schedule is pretty misleading.

It would mean that Buffalo'll finish the year with 72 wins and 150pts.

The moral of this story is: You've got tons of talent on that team and other GMs are salivating at the thought of a fire sale. Don't push that panic button just yet.

PS - It also would mean the Leafs'd finish fourth and play Montreal in the first round. I don't see that being all that likely either.
 
Hi Ben,
I'd just like to take this opportunity to offer you an exciting position with fanbase. We've done some very exciting things in the last few years, and think that our organization might be a great fit for your fandom.

As you know, we dealt with a losing season just last year, and I like to think we've taken the right steps to curtail that kind of behaviour in the future. I'd argue that we're a stronger bet than your current team to bring a consistent effort night in and night out. From the sounds of your blog, you seem to agree. And that's why we're reaching out to see if we might find some common ground.

Amongst our roster you'll find Ottawa connections from team members past and present. Guys like Brendan Bell, who was born in the Nation's Capital, and Michael Peca, who enjoyed three fantastic seasons as an Ottawa 67. I'm sure I don't need to mention the contributions that former Leaf Gary Roberts made to that fantastic 67s club as well.

Outside of the Leafs organization itself, I'd also like to highlight the fact that our facilities offer the finest in WWE Entertainment many times a year, perhaps you've already had a great experience like that in Toronto, and it's that kind of passion that we'd like to see when our Leafs are on the ice.

We'd like your support in the upcoming months, and are offering the equivalent of the "C" to be applied to your new Leafs jersey as the captain of the legion of new fans. Fans that we'd like the opportunity to thrill for the rest of the regular season and deep into the playoffs.

We've already let Tie go, and if it takes a reduced role for Darcy to make you happy, we're more than happy to try to work things out with you.

Warmest Regards,
JFJr.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]