Monday, November 20, 2006

One dream = $1,000US

The dream of every poker player is to win a World Series of Poker bracelet.

I'm actually very fortunate that my dream is so easy to actually take part in. Because some dreams we have are simply unattainable, no matter how hard we try. As a kid, I've dreamt of hoisting the Stanley Cup over my head. And maybe even as a kid (yes, I said kid), I may have dreamt of headlining Wrestlemania XXX. Yeah, that would have been a sight to see.

But my relatively new passion for a card game, no-limit Texas hold 'em, has given me something else to look forward to. I've talked about this with a few of you, but not too many really see it as anything except a waste of $1,000. But not me.

My plan is that next summer, some time during the months of June & July, is to head down and play a $1,000US buy-in World Series of Poker tournament. Judging by the number of entrants last year, there will be several hundred players entering, potentially closing in on 1,000 participants. Many are amateurs like myself, but there will also be pros I might be lucky enough to rub elbows with.

This tournament is a step-down from the Main Event of the WSOP, which has a $10,000US buy-in and is considered the flagship tournament, and this past year had over 8,000 entrants. I simply cannot afford that entry fee, and that's why I'm taking a step down. But at the same time, with fewer entrants and less playing time (two days as opposed to over a week), your chances of coming out ahead are greater. And quite frankly, ANY bracelet would be quite amazing to say the least.

I'm realistic. The chances of winning the whole thing are slim to none. There are some respected poker pros out there still waiting for their first bracelet after entering these tourneys for years. But hey...about 10% of the field still get in the money, meaning they get back their $1,000 and a little extra. And of course, if you finish top of the ladder or close to it, that little extra can mean a few hundred thousand dollars.

So for $1,000, I'm going to live out my dream. And I'm also selling out parts of it. That means if you would like to put up 10% or more of my entry fee, you get that percentage of any winnings I make (of course, if I don't win anything....thaaat's poker!). Just talk to me in person if you'd like to take part.

Anyway, most of you know the old stuff I'm selling on Ebay is going towards the entry fee. So in some ways it's not really costing me anything. In any case, I can't wait to go, and who knows, maybe Lady Luck will be on my side, and there won't be any SBP screwjobs!

Comments:
So who's telling you not to do this? It sounds to me like you've thought about it very hard. You're trying to raise the money through other avenues so....what's the problem/issue? It's not like you're taking your last grand and blowing it. Besides, this seems like a better trip than going to Florida for a wrestling PPV.
 
I agree! Who says this is a waste? Should be a fun trip with the added bonus of attempting to fulfill a dream…
 
Well, I got to keep the chair from the PPV, so you can't knock it entirely...

A lot of people who don't play or simply don't understand hold em' see it as the equivalent of putting it all on black and seeing what happens. There's a lot of drama, highs & lows you go through. Plus it'll be cool to play with some of the pros. Anyway, I guess most of my work colleagues see it as a waste, but hey, to each their own.
 
Ben,

As someone "who doesn't play or simply doesn't understand hold em", I see it as the equivalent of someone living one of their dreams and say good on ya and go for it.

I think it's great that you set your sights on the prize and wish you all the best.

Too many people spend way too much time thinking they "can't" do something. Of course they can, they just won't.
 
"So in some ways it's not really costing me anything." - that's some strange math SBP, seems to me the cost is $1000, why convince yourself otherwise?

Regardless, it'll make a hell of a trip and I can think of many riskier/less entertaining things I've done with my money - can anyone say Nortel?

I'm coming to watch, by the way.
/rt.
 
I'll just echo everyone here by giving my support to someone who is going after a dream. My dream is to one day see you eat a fudge flat-top for supper and polish off another one for dessert. And don't tell me they don't make 'em anymore. I'm pretty handy with a waffleiron.

-Stan
 
Ben please see my blog for my response to this post of yours.
 
John, you never have to tell me to visit your blog, I always do. Hope you and RT come out as well, cause so far it's going to be a solo effort and the company would make the trip much much more enjoyable
 
Hey, Dan and I said we were in from the beginning! Apparently our attendance isn't noteworthy :( Should we be taking our entry investment $ elsewhere? Just kidding....we intend on being there to cheer you on as well!
 
You mentioned it in passing...it wasn't a "holding rockets I'm all-in" guarantee. Looked more like a King-Queen holding that was going to get folded. Sorry I didn't have more faith. But hey, if you two are in...sweeeet!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]