Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Chains take action




My loyal SBP blog readers may recall an email I sent to the Ontario Film Review Board regarding the sale of DVDs such as Ghetto Fights & Wildest Street Brawls and how I felt they should classify it equally as an Adult film, if not outright ban it.

Turns out the major retail chains such as HMV and Music World are voluntarily sending back the videos to the suppliers. A Music World rep commented, "We don't usually play censors, but it was pretty tasteless stuff, so we're not taking them back into our stores."

It's a fine line to cross, as for the most part, I don't feel anybody has a right to tell me what I can & cannot watch. But these videos, depicting real violence and crime against unconsenting individuals, isn't art. There are a few clips that I watched over at Youtube (as I felt like I should have at least watched some of it after sending my email) that are just so depressing. Making money from these acts is just wrong (perhaps once the victims get a cut of the DVD profits we can talk deal). Anyway, the OFRB may reconsider their initial classification as a result of this action and the outcries from politicians and other social activists.

When major retail chains come out against something, everyone seems to pay attention and take the necessary action. When a small, non-partisan non-violence group tries to stir the pot over something controversial...seems a lot of people are much slower to react. Corporations are the 21st century high-priests.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]