Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sens and Pools

The season for the Ottawa Senators got a good start with a 4-1 decisive victory over the Leafs. It wasn't an exciting game, but when you're on the road taking the fans out of the game is part of a solid strategy. The fans were so crestfallen (give me $5), half the time they couldn't even bother to boo Alfredsson when he had the puck like they usually do.

Martin Gerber was great in nets, playing perfect position to block shots and made some good stops to keep Toronto from getting back in it. He has a calming aura about him...when the puck is heading towards the goal, you have a good feeling he'll stop it. Emery didn't quite give you that confidence even though their save percentages were nearly identical last season.

Patrick Eaves cashed in on his opportunity to play with Spezza and Heatley picking up two points, and really the only downer to the evening was the loss of Tom Preissing to a "lower body" injury. Let's hope it isn't serious, as losing Corvo is already a blow to their defensive corps.

Pool: My annual 37 man draft pool coincided with NHL opening night, and I think I did ok. I got to pick 1st and used it to pick up Joe Thornton. My 2nd pick was Alfredsson, and the only other Senator I managed to get was Peter Schaefer. I did NOT take Mark Recchi, John Leclair or Jeremy Roenick like in past years, having learned my lesson about old-timers. Shanahan was the only player that would fit that category and I picked him 16th which was great for value.

I even shocked myself by picking up Sundin and Tucker from the Leafs. Hey, I've come in 2nd more times than I want to count, these adjustments may help me get over the top for a 1st place finish.

Comments:
All we wanted to do was come home buddy and you wouldn't let us pal.

We guarantee that the one year you don't take us will turn into the ultimate SBP screw job when we light it up like a pinball machine!!
 
I hate your team this year Ben.

All the old hockey players have united and hate your team too.

I talked to Stevie Y and Dougie Gilmour and they think your draft is an unmitigated disaster by the way.

37 rounds and you couldn't find room for Owen Nolan? Is Pierre Turgeon still playing?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]