Monday, October 02, 2006

Ghetto Fights and Street Brawls


I read an article in Sunday's Ottawa Sun regarding the sale of the DVDs "Ghetto Fights 2" and "Wildest Street Brawls". These DVDs capture real-life, illegal activities of criminals & thugs beating victims in complete graphic detail. Scenes include a male passenger being dragged out of his car, his head pounded against the pavement repeatedly until he is unconscious, and then his cash stolen from his pocket.

People have been making these videos and submitting to a distributor for a fee, who in turns sells them to mainstream outlets and continues to profit from these criminal acts. I found this appalling, so much so I decided to email the Ontario Ratings Review Board to request a change in their "18A" and "R" ratings assigned to these videos which allows pretty much anyone to purchase these DVDs. I'm not one who believes in censorship, but for the reasons explained in my email, these DVDs are clearly an exception:

Hello,

I read an article in the October 1st edition of the Ottawa Sun regarding the sale of the DVDs "Ghetto Fights 2" & "Wildest Street Brawls" in Canada that didn't sit well with me when I read about the contents of these productions. The sale of these DVDs has been classified as "Adult" by the B.C. ratings board, treating it like an Adult sex film undoubtedly because of the violence contained in it. I believe Ontario should reconsider it's "R" and "18A" ratings of these DVDs and assign it an "Adult" rating, prohibiting the sale of these DVDs in mainstream outlets and thus making it more difficult for minors to obtain, or perhaps even consider the outright ban of the sale & rental of these films to the general public.

I want to make clear I believe in freedom of expression and for the most part, feel most films & videos should NOT be banned. Some of my favourite films include violent movies such as Natural Born Killers, Saving Private Ryan and Goodfellas. However, the distinction between these films and "Ghetto Fights 2" & "Wildest Street Brawls" is that what we are seeing is not real. The film is scripted, no one is actually getting injured or victimized, and special f/x are used to portray the violence in these movies. "Ghetto Fights 2" & "Wildest Street Brawls" involve videos made for the express purpose of profiting from criminal behaviour. None of the action shown is fiction. The victims of the violence are NOT consenting. The camera people involved in shooting these videos are, in my opinion, accomplices to these acts that the criminals are shown doing. This is certainly much different than the local news reporting on a criminal act. I feel these videos should be submitted to authorities to prosecute the individuals involved in these crimes. Instead, they are submitting them to production companies and profiting from these real criminal acts. The Ontario ratings board, by assigning "R" and "18A" ratings, are in a way condoning this. Do the victims in these crimes, including one scene described in the Sun in which the victim is beaten unconscious and the cash from his pocket stolen, see any compensation from these production companies for these videos? I suspect this isn't happening.

We seem to treat sex more taboo than violence, and while the explicit depiction of sex between consenting adults is labeled with an "Adult" rating to minimize the availability of such videos and restrict access to minors, we don't seem to think the same way with real-world violence. In these videos (again, which I have not seen, but based entirely on the Sun article) we witness true life degradation and brutalization of human beings. Some cannot even defend themselves, including street people. There is no interest served to the public by having made these videos available, unless they are used to prosecute or track down these criminals but that is not happening. We cannot trust Corporations to not profit from items that we may look upon as reprehensible, immoral or criminal. I would urge you to consider my request to either reclassify to an "Adult" rating or consider a ban of such videos as "Ghetto Fights 2" & "Wildest Street Brawls".

Thank you for your attention on this matter,

Sean Benjamin Patrick


If they respond, I will post updates on the blog.

Comments:
Ben-Jammin,

I'm impressed, glad and releived that someone I know actually did more than just be appalled by this. I too read that article and was saddened by it. Perhaps I too will write a letter, what is the address to use?

I was particularily saddened by the description of a scene where they pick on a homeless person by taking what little posessions he had and dropping them into a sewer to provoke him into taking an active roll as one of their victims. I can't remember the other details but the poor guy and others like him deserve protection from these cretins who are exploiting them. Perhaps the Gardian Angels can assemble a faction for this phenomenon. (Did that sentence make any sense?)

Anyhow, I'd like to add my voice to the this is too much camp. I don't think freedom of expression enters into either, these guys are commiting crimes, and many are profiting from it, which can't be on the level. I'll enjoy the day I see a stop come to this but moreso I'd like to see rightious retribution come to all those down the line who are profiting from it, as individuals as well as corporate entities.

So once again Ben, thanks for standing up and speaking out. Perhaps a classy sign that professes your position at the next WWE event you attend will go over well. Perhaps something like "Homoerotic Monday Nights and Shrunken Balls NOT Ghetto Fights and Wild Street Brawls"

Johnny
 
I'm more impressed with your rhyming sign suggestion, J-Mac.
 
Here's the email address I sent it to:
ofrb@mgs.gov.on.ca

And thanks for the sign suggestion. I'll take it into consideration.
 
Ben,

This is a really great letter. I've only just read it (five minutes ago), but every time I see the cover of "Bum Fights 2" or whatever at the local video store, my stomach turns.

Well done,
N.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]