Monday, September 04, 2006

Labour Day

Driving down King Edward yesterday, the welcoming of the University of Ottawa frosh begun, and it was a zoo. It took me 15 minutes to move less than 1km in my Jeep.

It's scary to think (for me anyway), that with the elimination of OAC, students are starting their post-secondary education so much younger. I was reading an article in the Sun where a few of the new students are as young as 17 years old. 17! I had zero idea what I wanted to do with my life at 17, a vague idea at 19 when I started my University career, and at 31, still kinda unsure of where my life is headed. I think maybe we're rushing the young to grow up too fast. By the time a 17 year old gets their undergraduate degree, they will be 21 years old and most will try starting their respective chosen careers. Do you remember what you were like at 21? Maybe I can just speak for myself, but I wasn't ready to settle down and start working 9 to 5.

And another thing...do students these days still bring a pen and paper to their lecture halls? It seems the trend is to bring your laptop, type furiously during the class, have your messenger hooked up and trade messages with other classmates (no more embarrassing notes being read in front of everyone I suppose). If the prof says something you're not familiar with, no need to interrupt the lecture, just google it and you'll get the answer in seconds.

On a slightly different topic, the one scent that reminds me September is here is the smell of new denim. Throughout my school years I'd always get a least one new pair of jeans in the fall, and its smell was the signal a new school year was beginning. Yeah, weird thing to say, but, it's true. I think I'm going to head over to Old Navy this week and pick up a new pair.

Comments:
Does denim really smell? Really?

And don't you worry about those kitties, they'll be fine. And not to worry about yourself either, you're catching up to your class faster then any of us thought you would.
 
OAC. Ontario Academic Credits. The key word being 'Ontario'. Other provinces have been letting their 18- and sometimes 17-year-olds attend university for a long time.
 
Being 10 to 12 years older then my classmates is not as much fun as you think...But then again;

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."
-wooderson
 
Yes they do... Yes they do.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]