Monday, August 28, 2006

Snakes on a Plane


For everyone who thought I'd cave and see Snakes on a Plane (SOAP)...you're right, I did. I bought into the internet buzz and expected this film to fall in to the so bad it's good category. And that's what I got. Much like other movies such as Army of Darkness, you stop and look at your buddy and say, "Did I just see what I thought I saw?" and can't help but laugh. The crowd was really into it. When Samuel L. Jackson utters the now infamous line: "I want these motherf*****' snakes off my motherf****' plane!!", a lot of the crowd actually cheered and applauded. I'm guessing there were a few people who saw it already. This movie will probably not translate as well on a small screen.

Interestingly, the box office for this film hasn't been great and considering the buzz behind it before the release, the studio was rightly disappointed by ticket sales. There have been theories that the movie took too long to be released, but I'm thinking because the internet is the place where the hype started, the same people opted to download it instead of paying to see it at the theatre. These internet geeks who get jazzed up about movies like SOAP...there the same ones who hate to pay for films. Right or wrong, that's my theory. Anyway, I doubt a SOAP part deux is coming anytime soon (Although you can catch Snakes on a TRAIN on DVD. Clever!).

Comments:
The studio doesn't have a right to be upset about ticket sales:

1) They fired the original director because he wanted to make it an R-rated camp-fest. This is the guy who embraced the idea and got Sam Jackson on board in the first place .

2) They tinkered with it to try to make it a generic summer flick, even to the point of changing the name to Pacific Flight 121, but changed it back when the internet geeks complained

3) They got free advertising from those same internet geeks in the form of fanmade shirts, mugs, blogs, talkbacks, etc... for a film that hadn't even finished post-production yet.

4) They're lucky Sam Jackson's such a good sport. He doesn't care about his image, and was looking to have a good time. They could have had a nightmare of a time if he refused to do press or support this thing.

About the only thing they did right was listen to the fans and camped it up, including reshoots after they'd wrapped, just to add that line you loved so much.

And even though I somehow know all this stuff, I've got no interest in seeing this in the theatre, or even downloading it for free, as I suspect that the hype surrounding the flick is about a hundred times better than the movie itself.
 
I refuse to see this movie as well. But I am looking forward to the sequel. Spiders on a Plane!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]