Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Half as Good


Well, the only thing really memorable about taking in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest was that I left my Jeep top down and it rained for about 10 minues before the movie let out. My vehicle is pretty moist right now, but hey, a Jeep is built for that sort of thing. Still, I don't know what I was thinking, there was a slight chance of showers, and even the word slight should set off alarm bells to put the cover on my damn Jeep. That's the second time it's happened to me.

Anyway, to the movie! It shattered opening weekend box office records of every kind and a lot of people are responding well to it. Me, ah, it was ok I suppose. The original is so much better than this one. Yeah, that's usually the case with sequels, but you can still make it a solid entry at least. The humour and imagination is pretty much lost the 2nd time around. Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow character is very uninteresting for the first half of the movie, and it takes a while to get going as a result. I liked the CGI of Davy Jones, but, I never really imagined him as a squid-like human. Something a bit different anyway.

I also liked the CGI of the Flying Dutchman, and the underwater monster is pretty well done, too. But outside of this there seems to be a lack of tension or emotional interest. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I was left feeling something was missing for a movie that's looking to be the #1 box office draw ever made. Maybe the near 2 1/2 hour running time was the problem. The ending was pretty annoying. Sure, I knew they were shooting another sequel, but I thought it would have been a new story. It isn't, nothing is resolved in part 2, and you need to see part 3 next summer (which everyone will, for sure) to see what happens.

I'd rent it, and leave it at that.

p.s. You might notice the World Series of Poker update link to your left of the screen. Pokerstars asked those who participated in the Blogger Championship to add this link, so I obliged seeing as they were nice enough to have the freerolls for us bloggers. Hey, I'm probably going to click the link myself a few times!

Comments:
...and this is why I only wanted to see three flicks this summer: MI:III, Superman, and Miami Vice.

While I hear that "United 93" was fantastic, and "A Scanner Darkly" may be an interesting experience, I'm feeling good about my plan.

Thanks for going to all these other mediocre offerings to let us know we're making the right choice by staying home.
 
Man, I don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait for Ben's review of Snakes on a Plane.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]