Monday, June 05, 2006

Screwjob Update

I will never, ever buy a computer or computer parts from PC Cyber. Not only did my power supply need replacing, but now it looks like my CPU is fried. The worst thing too is that the original power supply replacement that I bought was, as John suspected, a USED one that they try to sell me off as a new product. It's ok to sell used stuff AS LONG AS YOU TELL ME. It was shrink wrapped and everything. When the box was opened, there was no manual which should have rang alarm bells. John returned it and got a brand spankin' new one. As far as we can tell anyway.

But it does look like the CPU is shot as well. Again, this computer was purchased from PC Cyber so it's just as likely the processor is used crap as well. Previously, I had bought a cheap EMachines computer from Futureshop. My mom now has it and 6 years later still works. We also had bought Dell PCs and no problems of this sort came about. 18 months after my new computer purchase, I have to shell out about $300 to fix these problems. Stupid.

Anyway, on a bright note, Kim and I went to a Quest for the Cure fundraiser at the Barley Mow yesterday, and I won a free night at the Holiday Inn Select with free Breakfast @ Graffiti's! Not bad! An "un" SBP screwjob, perhaps!

Comments:
Wow, that sucks.

I guess I won't mention that my computer, built from parts purchased entirely at PC Cyber (but assembled myself) is still going strong after 5 years. The only thing that's failed so far is the fan on the video card, but even that was just recently.

Maybe you can swipe the in-room computer at the Holiday Inn Select?

-Stan
 
Was there a point to the above comment other than to pat your own back?
 
You bet: it's that not everything purchased at that store is automatically junk...

...and that I'm a fantastic consumer of technology-based retail goods.

-Stan-TASTIC!
 
You eat technology-based retail goods?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]