Sunday, June 04, 2006

Another SBP screwjob

I said I wouldn't use the above expression anymore but here we go again. Couldn't do a blog post yesterday because as my roommate went to turn on the computer, a "PORT ERROR" message came on the screen, which is never a good thing. Basically what happens after that message appears is that every time you press the power button on the PC, nothing happens. John & I opened it up, passed the vaccuum cleaner through it to get the dust out, and it worked again except the fan from what was (we think) the power supply was making these awful whirring noises. Not the first time that noise occurred, so John suggested I buy a new power supply which I did today. We took out the old one, put in the new on and hit the power button...nothing. Not sure if the connections are perhaps screwed up but for now nothing is happening, and this post is being written from Kim's computer. There's a possibility it might be the main CPU processor that is screwed up, which ain't good. I've only had my computer for about 1 1/2 years and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to think it would last longer than that. We'll see what happens.

Comments:
Is it a dell by chance????
 
If it worked after the cleaning job, you're probably not going to have to replace anything else. I think you might just need to re-check your power supply connections... Let me know if you need a hand with it.

What's wrong with Dell's, Anonymous?

-Stan
 
I have had nothing but trouble with mine! And forget getting help or having them honor your warranty. I do believe though that part of it is an issue of storing too much at one time...

Forts
 
You have a roommate?
 
Sort of Why?
 
Well Forts, give me a call next time you're having trouble with it and I might be able to help out...

Cheers,
Stan
 
I may take you up on that thanks, I am getting tired of having to format it every 4 months or so.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]