Monday, May 08, 2006

Mission Impossible III


The summer movie season officially kicked-off this past Friday with box office star Tom Cruise reprising his role as Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible: III. Originally, I had no intentions of seeing this movie, I didn’t care much for I and II (think about it…can you recall more than five minutes from any of those two pictures?) but the reviews were mostly positive so I thought I’d give it a shot.

In the back of my mind, of course, were Cruise’s shenanigans with the press regarding his Scientology devotion and the seemingly possessive relationship he has with fellow actress Katie Holmes. For the record, I never had a problem with Cruise before and I think he is a talented actor and can be counted on more times than not to deliver the goods. I also think he is a nutbar. MI:3 ended up doing somewhat disappointing box office (less than $50 million opening weekend when forecasts predicted up to $80 million or thereabouts) which makes me think the public IS sick of Cruise’s latest escapades. But for me, as long as you make a good movie, I could care less either way.

So, all that aside, MI:3 is easily the best of the MI flicks. There are three different scenes/sequences that will stick with you after you leave the theatre, just for the sheer fun and tension of the scenes in question. I don’t want to spoil what they are for those who haven’t seen the movie yet, but I’ll drop these three words so you know what I’m talking about should you decide to see it (no pun intended): “Bridge”, “Rooftop” and “Electricity”.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is of course awesome as the villain, but didn’t get enough screen time. The story also developed the character of Ethan Hunt more and instead of Hunt being the loner who requires no help, MI instead focuses more on the team effort aspect inspired by the original TV series that I think was missing in the first two (or maybe just the first one, again, I don't remember the first two very well). This makes us believe in Hunt a little more, despite you having to suspend your disbelief in some areas.

Definitely worth seeing on the big screen. And some good previews too before it (including Superman, X-Men 3 and Nacho Libre!). This might be a summer where I'll re-visit the theatre more like I used to.

Comments:
I didn't bother reading this. Is it an article about the Sens chances of a comeback?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]