Monday, April 03, 2006

Inside Man...The Song


I went to the theatre to check out Inside Man with Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster, directed by Spike Lee. First, I'm quite aware most people are sick of Spike Lee; audiences are tired of his "message" movies (which unfortunately caused a lot of people to miss his underrated 25th hour). But by making a straightforward thriller with just subtle jabs at Americana, he has moved back to the mainstream and his next work will probably gain more attention. Anyway, Inside Man is an intelligent film, strong if unchallenging performances by the leads, with good pacing and nice camera work. (I didn't mind some of the MTV style shots Lee threw in for good measure).

Aside from all this, one thing that took me right away was the opening song of Inside Man, an Indian tune called "Chaiya Chaiya". I have no idea what Chaiya Chaiya means...but I know what I like when I hear it. Forget those headache-inducing Indian musicals you might have witnessed on OMNI2 while channel surfing: it is a catchy song with a modern dance feel to it. It was released back in 1998 and was a big hit in its home country & the U.K. and is just now finding its way to North America. Here is a link to a free MP3 download of it. Give it a listen:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/31906/chaiya.mp3

Comments:
What, no shout out to Stan for providing said link?

To borrow a line from Steve: I "hated, hated, hated" the MTV shot of Denzel that you were talking about. If he'd pulled an Ollie Stone and done film-school tricks throughout I would have respected it, but it was a one-timer that stood out like a sore thumb.

Also: I'd like to borrow a phrase from Spike himself: *HE* needs to go to film-ending school. The payoff wasn't nearly as clever, intriguing or sophisticated as the commercials would have you believe. If you're looking for Keyser Sozé, you walked into the wrong theatre.

Cheers,
Stan
 
PS - Nice new picture, buddy.

-Stan
 
Ya!!! I'm sick of this blog being so self absorbed. You only really heard the song because I started jumping up and down in my seat annoucing how much I really liked the sound of it! It was then that Stan announced he'd seen the link...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]