Tuesday, January 03, 2006

King Long


Later than usual post...I went to see King Kong after work at the newly renamed Empire 7 (formerly Cineplex Odeon World Exchange; I actually just discovered this a few weeks ago), an advantage of living downtown! Anyway, I liked it, but it's not nearly as good as it could have been. And it would have been so easy to make it a timeless classic...BY NOT MAKING IT THREE HOURS! People who know my tastes know that the running time isn't important to me as long as it's good. My favourite movies include JFK and Schindler's List and they top three hours apiece. I don't think this counts as a spoiler since pretty much everyone knows what happens as it's the 3rd or 4th remake of it: It takes almost 2 hours and 30 minutes to take King Kong off the island and bring him to New York. There was so much they could have trimmed off in the first ninety minutes, but they didn't, so it is what it is, however box office and critical praise have been good so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on it.

This is a big screen movie, the special effects are very well done (the "wow" factor is a bit lost since Jurassic Park already showed us realistic-looking dinosaurs), the set design is great, the acting is top notch. Some scenes reek of cheese but hardly any film is perfect. Give it a shot.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]